NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Remote servers grouping

I have a lot of FTP servers created in phpED for various clients I deal with. A single client can have anywhere from 1 to 20-30 different FTP sites they operate so I end up with a lot of entries in the remote server browser. It would be very helpful if I could group those entries in categories. So for example if I have Client 1, Client 2 and Client 3 I could have 3 entries in the remote server tree (one for each client) and only when I expand one of the clients I can see all of their FTP servers. That would make my browser a whole lot less cluttered.

Thanks,
Site Admin

you may create clones for the Explorer window (see View->Clone Window->Explorer) and hide the accounts you don't want to see.

Can you change the name of the window that is being created? "Explorer [2]" doesn't really tell much about which client that is. Even though this functionality is there it's hardly ideal for what I'm facing. Imagine having 50 cloned windows.
Site Admin

Does it mean that you have 50 groups * 30 accounts in a group = 1500 total ftp accounts? I can hardly imagine this.
If 50 is a total number of the accounts, you'd this number with 5 windows, 10 accounts in each, not too much.
Also, you may want to check Projects. Not necesary to work with Explorer at all if you have projects, and projects is what you can easyly open/close when you switch between your tasks. I hope you aren't doing this each 1-3 seconds Smile

I have about 50 separate clients I deal with and each one of them has usually 3-4 accounts, with quite a few having 10-15 and several of more than 30 (these people provide hosting for auto dealers or real estate agents and I just help with their PHP stuff). So I do have a lot of FTP accounts I connect to and using the windows in a way you described would be even more confusing than just using some naming scheme in the accounts now (I usually just call my accounts "My Client name - Dealer/Agent name" so I know who's who). I have about 400 accounts I connect to.

Projects are a vast overkill for the type of maintenance I do for these type of functions, so while I do use them for some of my larger projects, a day to day maintenance of a simple PHP script is just not worth it.
Remote servers grouping