NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Remote project. How?

Is it possible to create a project, but that all files were only remotely on FTP? Not to download the project files when changing desktop computer.

Tools -> accounts -> new ( bottom left of the popup ) -> choose ftp ( or whatever ) enter the data on the right and save.

Workspace ( tree on the left ) -> right click -> new project -> next -> 3th (bottom ) option "Web server ... development is lcoated on remote machine -> next

for root dir : click on the small folder icon ( and select there do you want your local files )

// the idea is in order to work correctly you have local copy of the files, but when you save you need to save them and upload them to the remove machine

-> next
->next
-> select publishing account ( select the one ou created a moment ago )
-> next
-> next
-> dbg url -> http://localhost/
remote dir -> /data/www/ ( or whatver the path is )
-> next
->for now i suggest you do DESELECT the check phpinstalation and dbg wizzard
-> next
-> web document dir matches the project root and enter the path you entered for remote dir
-> next
-> next
->finish

a new project appears. ( lets name the new project koko)

go to koko ( on the tree on the left ) -> right click -> publishing -> download project(s)

you get all the files etc....

when you save, save with ctrl + shift + s

if you want to change that :
tools -> settings -> IDE shortcuts -> find save and upload and replace with whatever you what ( my guess will be ctrl + s)

have fun
Guru master

I think the specific answer to JonGol's query is No, it is not possible to have a fully remote FTP project which you can edit from within PhpED. I believe this is a feature being worked on for a future version of PhpED.

If you are downloading a copy of the project files, then it is not really a remote project any more, it is a local project with a remote server for running & debugging.

Currently with PhpED you can debug a project that is only accessible by FTP, because PhpED will download files as required to allow you to step through them, etc. but I don't think you can edit and save the files. It certainly isn't nearly as usable as a local project.

You can use an FTP storage connection software to make FTP look like a Windows disk, such as Netdrive. Depending on your project and connection quality, you might find it works reasonably well, but it could be slow & inefficient.

You probably won't want do it through FTP unless you have to. If you are looking for good performance editing and debugging, there should be a local copy of the project. It doesn't need to be able to run locally, just stored & edited locally. If you are wanting a project that is a joined effort between multiple developers, using a code management system such as Git or CVS is possibly a better way of doing it. With Git, most developers probably have their own copy of the project anyway (their local repository) which they can subsequently contribute to a shared repository.

It is totally doable, I do it every day. All you have to do is create a FTP account and then go in the "Explorer" tab (in the menu view->tabs->explorer). You can easily browse your FTP site and open/edit any files you have permission to. It does download a temp file every time you open a file but you don't have to download the entire project. Doing it this way you lose a couple of very useful feature like the ability to search the project (find or replace in files->search in->project). You also cannot search a directory on the FTP server but you can still search all open files. Another feature you will lose is the "find declaration" and "find usage" since it cannot scan your project on the FTP site, but if you use a framework like ZF2 with Dependency Injection or Service Locator you cannot use it anyway so you are not losing much.
Guru master

I think the answer to JonGol's question is still No; you are editing files remotely but you are by no means working on a remote project.

In some circumstances possibly working through FTP is useful and maybe this will satisfy JonGol's requirement, but for a large or complex project there are many inefficiencies and big lack of features.
Remote project. How?