NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Questions regarding newer version of PHPED (XML + UTF-8)

Hello,

I have PHPED version 5519. My questions are regarding newer versions of PHPED:
    * Have you added code folding for XML documents?
    * Does you editor support UTF-8 files, so I can see contents and modify it?
I know that with PHPED I can save file in different formats but what about viewing content and modifications?

For example: when I open my UTF-8 encoded file with Dreamweaver MX everything seems to be ok (I can see Japanese symbols and add some new one by 'copy' and 'paste' operations) BUT when I am trying to do the same with PHPED I see only [] (square char) symbols or some text in iso-8859-1.

Waiting for your replay

Thank you in advance

Vitali

Guys I am not qualified in marketing but I am 100% sure that any new customers after visiting the support forum and checking the dates of the replays (if such exist) will never buy you product. Despite that it is times better when Zend's one, users prefer good support rather than good product.
Veteran

Vitali, I unfortunately do not have any definitive answers to your questions. I suggest your have a look at the changelog for version 5.6 at http://www.nusphere.com/news/changes56.htm as well as the new features list for version 5.8 at http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped_features.htm.

My real reason for responding is your comments about the support (or lack of) on this forum. I believe this forum is not an official technical support channel for Nuspher; it is user driven forum instead. Some of the Nusphere staff (dmitri for sure) do visit from time to time to respond to unanswered questions. Rather than having them here every day, I am actually quite happy to know that they are somewhere else hard at work improving the product. Looking at the fantastic new features in version 5.8 that was released today, I am glad that is the case. PhpED is an excellent product that has a growing feature list based on user feedback.

In short, if you don't get your quick answer on this forum, open a support ticket. Nusphere has always been prompt in replying to my questions. And once you do have an answer, please do post your feedback here for the convenience of other users Wink

I have had no problems opening and editing UTF8 files in phped. Japanese characters included.

It states the current document mode in the bottom of the window for the current file your viewing as well.
View user's profileFind all posts by skalirSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Guru master

Quote:
users prefer good support rather than good product

Regarding your remark: NuSphere has good support, but this forum isn't part of it. Although devoted employees respond here sometimes (Like Dmitri) this is not an official support channel and should not be threated as such.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Thanks a lot for all your replays, I will not argue about 'they are somewhere else hard at work improving the product.' because it depends on software developer, for me the only improvements since v3.* was code folding + ftp synchronization. That was real things which speed up code writing and debugging. While the rest were just 'it is nice that I have it' rather than 'I cannot live without that'.

As for 'if you don't get your quick answer on this forum, open a support ticket' you are absolutely right but it is times better to make forum like a support because all users used to ask the same questions. I do not think that many users will open a new topic and write their question + supports answer... come on some people even do not say THANK YOU when you help them, while you spend half an hour solving their problem and writing some good PHP samples Wink.

Thanks a lot for changelog links but there are nothing regarding XML folding or UTF.

'I have had no problems opening and editing UTF8 files in phped. Japanese characters included.'
Very interesting and what is your version of PhpED?

'this is not an official support channel and should not be threated as such'
Please see second indent and you will get the idea why that forum should be treated as such
Site Admin

Quote:
but it is times better to make forum like a support because all users used to ask the same questions

No. I don't agree at this.
1. I know almost NO reports that do not require 2-3 iterations like "please send me screenshot of blah blah blah, please check that checkbox, please send me that source file etc". I believe that the forum is an absolutely wrong place for such iterations.
2. If you care of our "extra" work because "all users used to ask the same", you are not correct. Finally it's just our support work and if support dept is getting the same reports more than 2-3 times, it's a good signal that something goes wrong and should be fixed or improved. With all the info published, we don't see how many people are affected and have no chance to assign appropriate priority.
3. Finally please read the rules. It's just our way. If you run your own business, you'll do it differently, I know Smile

Quote:
Thanks a lot for changelog links but there are nothing regarding XML folding or UTF

Hmm, these are new features and are described on the web, while changelog contains only fixes/updates made after the release.