NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Questions after some evaluation

I've been using Dreamweaver MX since it was released and i'm now looking into more feature rich php editors.

I got a few questions after evaluating PHPEd for a few hours.

1) How do I get Color Syntax Highlighting of Javascript, currently I was only able to find out how to switch between HTML and PHP.

2) When typing $_ you get up code complete which has things like $_GET and $_SESSION twice in the list since it registers under super global and var, is it possible to remove var from the list? It's not a biggie just clutters up the list with non needed info.

3) When typing $_ it's sorted alphabetically, in DM MX $_SESSION came before $_SERVER in the list because $_SESSION is used more, thus typing $_SE and hitting enter would spit out $_SESSION[ while in PHPEd it ends up on $_SERVER so I need to type $_SES to get it right, again, nothing big, just annoying, any way to change this?

4) When typing $_SES and hitting enter it spits out $_SESSION while in DM MX typing $_SE would spit out $_SESSION[. Again annoying because of the key combo needed to make the [, so I go into auto correct and set old value to $_SESSION and new value to $_SESSION[''] and it works, but the cursor ends up on the next line, whats up with that, also, would it be possible to get the cursor to position itself between the '' so I can instantly type the variable?

Part of the Code Completion point is to be able to type faster, the code completion in PHPEd works, but it certainly doesn't make me type faster :\

5) I made a for loop which basically did the following : echo $x.'<br>'; and when I look at the output page in source code I see one looooooong line with text, when I scroll I get to number 338 or something, and the scrollbar won't scroll anymore, I have to manually click the scroll arrow to scroll more, the for loop ran 10000 times, clicking 9660 times manually isn't fun. Whats up with this?

6) At the end of all the files I open the gutter has line numbers for a bunch of lines below my code which doesn't even exist, this is very annoying.

7) I made a class, I type in $myClass-> and up comes the code completion box, and again it's sorted alphabetically, is it possible to sort functions (void) alphabetically then variables (var) alphabetically, it's annoying having to scroll through the long list of variables when you know you're looking for a function.

8) Lastly, I read you were using Borland to code PHPEd, is PHPEd based on the code editor from TMSSOFTWARE.Com?

Anyways, these are just a few things I noticed, and i'm sure most of them are easy to fix, it's just that before I spend $300 on a pure editor I need to know i'm not going to regret it later over a bunch of annoying editor behaviours that will never be fixed.

In advance thanks!
Site Admin

Thanks for you notices and advices.

Quote:
1) How do I get Color Syntax Highlighting of Javascript, currently I was only able to find out how to switch between HTML and PHP.

PhpEd 3.3 does not support highlighting for Javascript embedded into HTML, yet. Nor PhpEd 4.0 will. It's planned for v 4.1 or later.

Quote:
2) When typing $_ you get up code complete which has things like $_GET and $_SESSION twice in the list since it registers under super global and var, is it possible to remove var from the list? It's not a biggie just clutters up the list with non needed info.

Will be fixed in 4.0.

Quote:
3) When typing $_ it's sorted alphabetically, in DM MX $_SESSION came before $_SERVER in the list because $_SESSION is used more, thus typing $_SE and hitting enter would spit out $_SESSION[ while in PHPEd it ends up on $_SERVER so I need to type $_SES to get it right, again, nothing big, just annoying, any way to change this?

Yet, phped does not support "priorities" in the code completion popup. It always sorts alphabetically.

Quote:
4) When typing $_SES and hitting enter it spits out $_SESSION while in DM MX typing $_SE would spit out $_SESSION[. Again annoying because of the key combo needed to make the [, so I go into auto correct and set old value to $_SESSION and new value to $_SESSION[''] and it works, but the cursor ends up on the next line, whats up with that, also, would it be possible to get the cursor to position itself between the '' so I can instantly type the variable?

You may want to put pipe ( | character) to denote cursor location. For example $_SESSION[''|]

Quote:
5) I made a for loop which basically did the following : echo $x.'<br>'; and when I look at the output page in source code I see one looooooong line with text, when I scroll I get to number 338 or something, and the scrollbar won't scroll anymore, I have to manually click the scroll arrow to scroll more, the for loop ran 10000 times, clicking 9660 times manually isn't fun. Whats up with this?

<br> stands for breaking lines in html, not in the source code.
The editor itself has fixed range for horizontal scrolling which is 2048 characters. So if you have longer lines you need to press right arrow, possibly while holding Ctrl key, or just End key.
This issue will also be targeted in v4.1 or later.

Quote:
6) At the end of all the files I open the gutter has line numbers for a bunch of lines below my code which doesn't even exist, this is very annoying.

This can be fixed by modifying Registry value for the editor. Please contact support and they will tell you how.

Quote:
Cool Lastly, I read you were using Borland to code PHPEd, is PHPEd based on the code editor from TMSSOFTWARE.Com?

No. PhpED's editor is not based on the TMS pack.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Cheers.

Quote:

You may want to put pipe ( | character) to denote cursor location. For example $_SESSION[''|]

This solved it, a great feature by the way.
Questions after some evaluation