NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Q: REPLACE

I am running 5.2.10

is there anyway to set the default REPLACE type to SELECTED instead of GLOBAL?
Site Admin

Why would it be default to selected?
What if you want the IDE to get selected text into the "Find" input? At least for many users it makes much more sense.

I should have said that it should default to Selected if an entire line or more is selected -- many other editors seem to do this -- (editPlus / PSPad are the two most recent I've used).

I don't know why this is so frustrating but, once you are used to it, it just *is*.

Also, equally frustrating is that a global search does not wrap to the top of the file (some editors give a warning when the top of file is passed - some don't).

just something to think about.
Site Admin

Many other editors does not even support multiline search/replace. Maybe it's the reason for them to switch to "find in selected".

As I said, by implementing different way, we will get another half of users asking to STOP defaulting to selection.
It's btw what we had in the beginning. Read this forum back in 2001-2005 and you'll find the posts.

I'm not sure that you're understanding fully what I'm asking for. And your editor is way too advanced to be comparing it to anything that does not support search & replace within a selected region. Smile Even vi, if you know how to use it supports search and replace within a selected block. Wink

Can you really think of a realistic situation where someone would

a) select multiple lines of text
b) and then want to perform a global search and replace procedure?

ever? I just can't and I've been coding for 29yrs now.

I think those posts you mention were referring to what you mentioned previously -- selecting some text so as it to default to the search subject, which is how it should work for < 1 line selected. But no one needs the search target to default to the selected text if it is an entire line or more.

And it turned out there were some posts asking for what I am (one describing losing hours of work -- which was probably an exageration)

Anyway, if you have a divide in user preferences this would be a nice place for a user configurable option, and I know this wouldn't be that hard to implement.
Site Admin

Quote:
Even vi, if you know how to use it supports search and replace within a selected block.

We are not talking about support for this in PhpED, right? as it is supported from the beginning and you can switch scope to selected text easily.

> Many other editors does not even support multiline search/replace.

Ok -- I misunderstood this, so never mind that comment.

I would rarely if ever use multiline search and replace. I use search and replace within a selected block all the time. And I know it's the same for many others.

You have a great product -- please please pretty please make this an option.

thanks,
-Dave

+1 for Dave's idea. I'm so used to this in other editors I use that I've accidentally done a global search and replace many times when I only wanted to operate on the block I had selected. In several years of using PhPED almost every day, I've never done a multiline search and replace.

I often want to make the same change in a series of selected blocks (but not globally) in multiple files and it's extremely frustrating to have to keep setting the scope to selected for each operation.

If this were a settable option (or at least a sticky option in the search/replace dialog), everyone would be happy.
View user's profileFind all posts by BobRaySend private messageVisit poster's website
Q: REPLACE