NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Publishing to network location

I need to setup PhpED to publish files to a server on my local network. The server doesn't have FTP, access is controlled via Windows permissions.

How do I specify that my remote server root is at \\server\webroot ?

Thanks

You could mount / map the network directory (\\server\webroot) and then publish it "locally".

Now, when you say publish it "locally", what exactly do you mean ? I can't find any option to do that, hence my original question.

In Dreamweaver, for example, you get the option to publish to FTP, RDS, WebDAV or Local/Network. In PhpED I can't see the Local/Network option - or am I missing something here ?

My bad. I didn't realise that you wanted to use the "Publishing" section in the Project settings. I am unaware of a way to do this.
Site Admin

you may also use \\yourserver\share\ blah blah blah as the project root directory. I mean you don't have to map this network path as a local disk letter.

But that would mean I would be editing files straight on the webserver wouldn't it ? We have the files in CVS and all work on the files on our local machines, then have to close the file in PhpED and copy it to the server manually.

A lot of the work I do is internal projects, so the files I edit are checked out from CVS to my d:\ drive, they need to then be published to \\webserver\share when they're done, as this is an internal production server and we can't therefore be editing files directly on the server! We don't have FTP on this server as it's only ever accessed internally.

So what I need is a way to specify in "accounts", a local/network location where it simply copies the files to, rather than FTPs the files to, separate from the copy i'm working on.

Thanks again Dmitri - excellent work so far !

If you have control of local desktop, then one solution would be to install an FTP server on your desktop machine. Then Map a drive letter to \\webserver\share, then configure your local FTP server to use the Mapped drive as your ftproot. Then in PhpEd, just configure publishing to use your local FTP server. I think this should work, although I have not tried it.

Good idea snorkel! I should've thought of that =)

If you're wanting a free FTP server to set up for this purpose, give "Filezilla" a try.
Site Admin

Quote:
But that would mean I would be editing files straight on the webserver wouldn't it ?

Exactly. If you the only developer for your website, it's just fine to edit files in place.
If you're not alone who works on the same set of files, there are multiple ways (see one below)

Quote:
We have the files in CVS and all work on the files on our local machines, then have to close the file in PhpED and copy it to the server manually.

You may consider the following scenario:
Each team member gets its own virtual host running with its own hostname, all resolved to the same IP where the server physically is.
Each virtual host has its own document root directory available to the developer as shared directory.
Developers have an ability to run cvs checkout and cvs update directly on the server and subsequently update document root with repository or update repository with document root (two or more php scripts will do the trick, you only need to run them using browser)

benefits:
1) CVS will decide what files to update, you don't need to remember what you edited or not
2) You will decide when you want to get other's files from the repository. So, for example, if anybody temporarily destroys a script or functionality, it won't affect you or anybody else.

-dmitri.