NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Publishing to local directory (PphED 3.3)


Joined: 03 Mar 2004
Posts: 40
Reply with quote
Is there a way to set the publishing directory to a local/network directory?

The current Publishing setup seems to require either an ftp or webdav account. We do our development from behind a firewall on the same network as our web servers and publish to a network directory. We don't have ftp or webdav enabled on these servers.
View user's profileFind all posts by jonphippsSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7881
Reply with quote
What protocols are used then ?
If you access those servers though mapped disks, you don't need publishing at all. Just post project directory to that shared disk and it will work fine.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 03 Mar 2004
Posts: 40
Reply with quote
Yes, these are mapped disks.

When you say 'post project directory to shared disk' what do you mean?

It's mostly for debugging -- for a number of reasons, we felt that we needed to debug on the 'remote' servers rather than in the PhpEd SRV environment. So we had originally setup the PhpEd project folder to point to the folders right on the server (these are dev servers anyway). Is that what you mean?

Anyway, we were never really comfortable with that and have been experimenting with different scenarios for offline editing and it would be really nice if we could make use of the 'upload' command to copy a freshly edited file to the server directly from within PhpEd.
View user's profileFind all posts by jonphippsSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7881
Reply with quote
Quote:
When you say 'post project directory to shared disk' what do you mean?

Sorry, "point". See Project->properties->Root Directory

Quote:
for a number of reasons, we felt that we needed to debug on the 'remote' servers rather than in the PhpEd SRV environment

That's fine.

Quote:
So we had originally setup the PhpEd project folder to point to the folders right on the server (these are dev servers anyway). Is that what you mean?

Not exactly. "phped\Project" subdirectory is just a default location.
See project root directory setting. It's not necessary to keep them under phped\Project subdirectory.

Quote:
it would be really nice if we could make use of the 'upload' command to copy a freshly edited file to the server directly from within PhpEd

If you work in a team you'd consider using CVS to keep sources in a repository and run cvs update or cvs commit whenever you need to get fresh local copy or update repository with your changes.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Publishing to local directory (PphED 3.3)
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Reply to topic