NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Projects and FTP

Hi,
till yesterday I was using Zend Studio, but I'am pissed of that Zend stops supporting Zend Studio....and Eclipse is a very very terrible IDE for PHP...

Whatever,
it would be very nice, if I could modify a file directly on FTP server.
In Zend Studio I have a list of FTP servers in my Explorer, which allows me to edit every file directly online. Thats very cool, because its much faster as the "downloading, modifying, uploading"-process.

Furthermore it would be usefull, when I could add local folders to my project.
For example:
In Zend Studio I have a project called "MyProject".

Project tree:

MyProject
- / Folder of graphics for "MyProject" - somewhere on hdd C:
- / Local project files - somewhere on hdd d:/xampp/htdocs/myproject
- / Remote project files - my FTP connection to mywebsite
Site Admin

Quote:
Thats very cool, because its much faster as the "downloading, modifying, uploading"-process.

Neither FTP nor SFTP support editing the files in place. In other words, you have to download the files for editing and upload them when you finished. So it always require two transactions (download and upload) instead of just one (upload) that would be the case if you had local copies of all the files. So it's clear which why works much faster.

On the other hand, you can edit your files in place using Terminals, like ssh and telnet. Both are supported by PhpED.

Regarding projects, you can easily setup your projects without any local copies. Create an ftp account (Tools->Accounts), create project, set any empty local directory for the project, set publishing and remote root appropriately. To open the files for editing and debugging, use Explorer window.

Well, but I want a local copy too.

Also I need my graphics folder, because I want to upload files from my graphic folder to remote server. Working with Explorer is very intricate.
Re: Projects and FTP
Veteran

neonox wrote:
till yesterday I was using Zend Studio, but I'am pissed of that Zend stops supporting Zend Studio....and Eclipse is a very very terrible IDE for PHP...
Well then, I think you've come to the right place! Wink

anno wrote:
Well then, I think you've come to the right place! Wink
I guess this too. There are just a few small tweaks with PhpED, but I think they could be fixed with new versions.
Projects and FTP