NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Problems with Chinese characters in editor?

Hello,

running PHPED in Version 14 on Windows 8.1, I tried to edit some utf-8 encoded PHP source file and add this line:

Code:
$lang[1009]["CNS"]= "德语[DE];英语[EN];法语[FR];中文[CNS]";

But sadly, the cursor is doing strange in this line and I can not really edit this line reliable. Other editors like Notepad++ or PSPad having no problems. Is there something I can do to make this work? Is this fixed in newer versions? Really?
Site Admin

it is FAQ
http://www.nusphere.com/kb/technicalfaq/faq_wrk_with_phped.htm

Oh Embarassed Thanks, I will have a look and try this.
Site Admin

The reason why we do not set that by default is performance. It's significantly higher if font is mono-spaced. Unfortunately, Chinese, Japanese and some other characters won't fit into font's "regular" cell and even mono-spaced fonts provide them with wider cells. That's why you need to turn mono-space checkbox off. Otherwise all these over-sized cells will be painted wrong.
BTW I tried to make that checkbox off if installed on windows with Chinese, Japanese etc locale, but I never had a chance to check. If you want, we can make this working out of box with your help.

Hello Dmitri,

I just found that the checkbox works well even if the character set stays at "default". Interestingly, best results I have with Charset ANSI and font "Courier New". Not sure why, but hey...

I think I'm not a good candidate for such test as I do not have a clue about such languages and encoding. But why don't you simply check the loaded source codes for characters above U+0400 (*) and then point the user to uncheck the monospace fonts checkbox? Or better directly ask to do so in a short explaining dialogue (you can copy your answer above). This would have helped me very much and users who do not deal with such languages are not affected at all.

(*) = I took a quick look at the unicode table and found that Cyrillic seem to be the first one with characters having special width. May need further investigation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters#Cyrillic
Problems with Chinese characters in editor?