NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
possible to use live server with local code?

yes i remember some time ago i thought it was possible to use remote debugging to run local code against the live server...did i misunderstand something and/or is this possible? im setting up a new shop with phped and the owner is anti-development server (dont ask) and i thought we could use phped to create "virtual" dev servers on each workstation running local code against the live server then using git pushes and pulls to sync...

i hope ive been clear...thanks for the great product and help!

- mark
View user's profileFind all posts by menriquezSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
Site Admin

if your anti-development server is equipped with debugger, you can use it with local code, but consider this local code as just cache. Server will run remote code anyway. Question is what IDE will show and how fast it will be loaded. With local code, you'll see it and it will be loaded fast.
Sure, if you share your local disk with server, you'll be able to run your local files on the server.

dmitri,

as usual your quick replies are much appreciated...so since plan A is toast, how about if we subdomain the live server with a dev.website.com url and run the development code in that directory (with security of course)? at least this way we are running the new code on the same basic server with the same databases and NOT, as is being done now, shooting new code to the live server with no testing (ugh)

is that possible with phped? ive just gotten started setting it up but i thought id perhaps run it by you since ive got your ear and its on topic...as always, thanks!

- mark
View user's profileFind all posts by menriquezSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
Site Admin

Mark, I'm not sure what doubts you have. It's certainly possible to add subdomains and work with them. Even more, you can have per-user subfolders (or subdomains) and let your developers work with them. With [local]->to->[remote] development you'll have to decide how locally edited files will appear on the server. One possibility is to share local (developer's) folder with server. Another -- is to share server's folders with corresponding developers. 3rd possibility is to work with local files and local server, then publish everything to the live.
It's all is up to you and has almost no relation to phped. Phped suppors all those ways.

awesome...yes dmitri i was pretty sure it could be done like that the syncing isnt an issue. like you said there are several ways to accomplish that...again thanks for your well engineered products they really are top-of-class stuff.

regards,
- mark
possible to use live server with local code?