NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
(poor) placement of tooltip/code hinting

when a code hint/completion/tooltip/whatever you call it pops up as you're typing, it appears above the line you're typing. since we work from the top down, this is incredibly annoying, since it covers up whatever is immediately above what we're typing, which is quite often relevant to what we're doing.

can this be configured to appear below the cursor, not above, where it's less likely to block the view of things we need to see?
Veteran

That would be great!
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

I agree, this would be extremely nice

I think this could be handy as well, but I can see a couple challenges for the phpEd developer team:

1) The code-insight auto-complete for the variable names you would type would also want to popup below the line you are on.

2) Large PHPDoc function docs for the function you are looking at might cause a pop-up help box to be too big to fit under the line of text you are on without it appearing off of the bottom of the screen---Since most code you add will be at the bottom of the editor window.
Veteran

I'd just like to note that some of us prefer where the popup box is atm - so I think some ppl must prefer this as an option.
Veteran

rgagnon wrote:
I think this could be handy as well, but I can see a couple challenges for the phpEd developer team:
2) Large PHPDoc function docs for the function you are looking at might cause a pop-up help box to be too big to fit under the line of text you are on without it appearing off of the bottom of the screen---Since most code you add will be at the bottom of the editor window.

This feature needs some intelligence regardless of where it puts the pop-ups. For instance, if you're near the top of the screen, putting it above you can easily go off-screen. Same left or right, or even with a combination of, say, left-bottom. The software must note conditions and adjust appropriately. (Then again, I've noticed that it's precisely this sort of intelligence is one of those areas where Windows in general greatly lags. So perhaps this isn't such a given.)

I think any preference would dictate where to ideally place the tooltip window, but the software would then adjust that based on conditions.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

I agree with first post idea, for me, using code insight, this popup placement position is annoying too. Whenever I have to see upper line code, must have to press ESCape every time, this is really annoying.

Bye Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by thunder-ltuSend private messageVisit poster's website
(poor) placement of tooltip/code hinting