NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Please clarify remote debugging

I read the thread about debugging howto-run-debug-session-t585.html and there is some mention of how to do remote debugging by copying files....

Can someone expand on this. I really still don't understand how that is done. Perhaps a new FAQ thread that just walks a newbie thru that would be nice.

Thanks,

steve
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi Dmitri,
RE: post1322.html#1322
What I really meant by the thread is I don't understand exactly how to set up a project for remote debugging, and all the remote root dir, etc. etc. settings. Can you please provide a step by step explanation. Based on what I have seen on the board, I think others have similar problems.
steve

I hope you have read FAQ p.IV and p.V
What I'd highly appreciate is if you point out what problem do you have in particular.
Do you have a WEB server ? Do you know its Docuement Root directory and URL ? Have you installed DBG on the server ? Do you see DBG in the phpinfo() results ? Do you have PHPED installed ? What's popup shown if you open a file in your project and press run in debugger ?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
OK, step by step

I followed the FAQ to the letter, I believe. I set up DBG, and it shows up in two places in phpinfo. I have the listener working, and it blacked out when I did telnt. I can do one page debugging. Now I need to do across pages (same as remote?) debugging. To simplify, my "remote" is the same PC that has my local files.

So this is how I set it up:
Root Directory: C:\AppServ\www (this is my Apache root)
Root URL: localhost
Remote root directory: /
Default file to run: blank

Then I get server going with Tools/Server, then I do Tools/URL, I type:
localhost/phpbb2/ (and check debugging)
which in normal circumstances works. But in the debug case, first it breakpoints, then when I hit continue, it gives me the following error:

Failed to map remote file
"c:\appServ\www\phpbb2\includes\template.php(127): eval()'d code"
to any local file

After that, the GUI just hangs on that message. I am running eval code Verion 3.21 (Build 3239e)

Please help!

steve

I had problems with eval() myself. Only thing that helped was to delete current project and start the new one, for the same files and re-configure it.
View user's profileFind all posts by netgertSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Site Admin

Quote:
So this is how I set it up:
Root Directory: C:\AppServ\www (this is my Apache root)
Root URL: localhost
Remote root directory: /
Default file to run: blank

Remote root and project Root Directory should be the same if you run on the same machine.
So, your Remote root directory is C:\AppServ\www and URL is http://localhost/

Regarding evaluated code, do not press F7 (step-in) when you step your code that contains eval() function call, use F8 (step-over).
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

ddmitrie wrote:
Regarding evaluated code, do not press F7 (step-in) when you step your code that contains eval() function call, use F8 (step-over).

The problem was that in any way (run, run w/o debugger, step in/over) the error popped up. Now, I can even step in w/o problems. This was probably caused because I had just installed phpED then and probably used wrong paths (as you described).

But what is that "Default file to run". If it's url, shouldn't it be "about:blank"
View user's profileFind all posts by netgertSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Site Admin

"default file to run" is a local file that should be run instead of the file currently active in the IDE.
If "remote mode" is selected, the IDE always maps local files to URLs and runs them as URLs, of course.
For example if you have
c:\myproject\ as a project root, http://localhost/ as a root URL and c:\myproject\somedir\myfile.php as a default file to run, phped will run http://localhost/somedir/myfile.php

That's the way project mapping works by default. BTW, if you need to, you can set up different mapping for certain directories in your project. See mapping page in the project settings. There is a table where you can add your own mapping entries that have to be processed differently than by default. In this way you can have for example c:\myproject\somedir\myfile.php to be mapped to
http://localhost/totallydifferentdir/myfile.php
Please clarify remote debugging