NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
please allow disable of splash "Preview" screen

This is a very nice IDE -- thank you for your work -- and I sincerely mean that.

This may seem like a small thing but, after looking at that splash Preview screen a few hundred times I want to scratch my eyes out. I don't need to see an advertisement or be reminded what software application I'm using. I'd rather be treated like a professional user of your product who doesn't need to be constantly reminded of the the name of the product, how great it is and which files I had open last (that's already in the File menu).

Please provide an option to have _no_ startup screen.

thanks
Site Admin

Hmm, does this mean that every time you start PhpED you are not going to open any project or file? Beacause if you open, startup won't appear.

I don't care if it's there the FIRST time, but that screen appears every time I close all the files I'm editing. Very annoying.

Surely the users of your software know how to open a project or file without using that screen.
Disable splash screen

I agree.

I just installed the trial version here and am considering switching from Dreamweaver to phpED and within 5 minutes of using this system I want that splash screen to disappear forever.

What I don't get is why this is, apparently, such a big deal. I have found other threads on the forums on the same issue and, with each of them, the person making the suggestion is dismissed and the issue is passed over.

This is simple -- put an Option to disable the Startup screen. If people want it, or don't know enough to look at the Option menu, they can keep it.

I paid for this product. I like this product. The startup screen, appearing over and over during a work session, detracts from my experience with it. It is annoying and unnecessary. I know where I purchased this software, I know what it is called and, if I need to know more, I can go to the Help menu and find everything I want to know about it. If I want to open a file, I can either right-click on it or go to the file menu.

What can it hurt to allow it to be disabled?

How is it beneficial to nusphere.com to retain this startup screen, especially when a number of your customers find it irritating?

Here's another way to look at it -- I own Zend Studio 10 (actually Zend 5, 8, 9 and 10). I use NuSphere because I prefer the way it allows me to work with remote files over Zend 10. Zend won't respond to numerous requests to make their remote file technique "friendlier" and a number of their users have abandoned their product for that reason. Why would NuSphere do the same thing and refuse to accommodate such a simple request from more than one of its customers? It shouldn't be difficult to implement, it won't hurt your brand recognition (since no one sees it but the user or a coworker) and you can only win points with the customer for showing that you are responsive to reasonable requests.
Site Admin

This startup window is not a nag as you probably treated it. It appears only after you close the workspace and provides you a way to open projects, workspaces and files with just one click. I hope it makes good sense.
As of us -- we do hear and we're willing to change the startup but first a) we need to understand what's wrong with this startup -- in particular why you don't like it and b) you have to understand that we can change features and their configuration in the next version only. Current version gets only fixes and since this is not a fix, it won't be changed.

Okay, now that I have been using phped for a while here, I am accepting of the start screen. However, there is some HUGE room for improvement here:

1) When it says 'Recent Projects', should it not be saying 'Recent Workspaces'?
2) The whole bottom section is terrible. Why would I have a Buy Now option when I already bought the product? And I don't need links to the nusphere sites as I already know how to get there
3) The entire third column is useless too. New features, major features, etc. - all fine for a trial user, but a paid user doesn't want or need these. Leave this stuff to a menu item under Help.

My suggestions:
1) third column - change to Recent Tasks/To-Do items from the Recent Workspaces/Projects
2) group the recent files to their respective project/workspace. Right now I have a list of recent files that are all mixed up from various projects. Not really useful due to name overlap
3) not sure what to do in the bottom region - any one else got some ideas here?
Difficulty to Achieve?

I've already seen 3 pages of topics regarding this. I came across them when I tried to find out where the option to control this would be. Imagine my surprise that:

a) This option doesn't exist
b) It seems to be fought against tooth and nail

To clarify what is being requested, leave everything "as is" but just give us an option in the settings (where you tossed the option to re-enable the load workspace by default, a change that I like by the way). The only thing the "disable startup page" would do would be to prevent the display of this new page. That's all.

So, when the "disable startup page" option is checked, I'm assuming, you would just make a *single* "if" check and then abort the process to build the startup page. Don't bother loading any workspace, project, etc. I will do all of that myself. There is nothing "wrong" with the startup page, but for some people it is just a personal preference. Realize that you are dealing with a demographic that has a large number of people who are borderline obsessive compulsive (myself included) and something "minor" like this just bothers me, personally, enough that I would probably switch to a new IDE instead of renew my professional edition again.

Honestly, this has bugged me enough that I have stopped using the IDE and just gone back to utilizing Notepad++ for my editing process. Sure I don't have all the features that I like about your editor, but I get to start with a nice, clean slate which just *feels* comfortable to some of us. Do you, seriously, wish to lose subscribers because you opt not to include a feature that you, very likely, could have implemented in the time it took you to read this *single* forum comment?

Well said 'jqadrow', however I have concluded that the folks (or folk for that matter), don't appear to pay attention to this forum, nor do they appear to take suggestion very well. So far this upcoming release of v10 appears to be focused towards debugging improvements (of which I have no plans to use anyways). They should be focused on introducing features people want, and dealing with reported bugs. Plus, while their at it, they should implement a proper bug tracking system for their users (people that pay them money) instead of the rediculously stupid contact form to submit an issue.

Anyways, back to the issue at hand. Although I agree with the flexibility in being able to shut off the start screen, i personally have come to like and find myself using it all the time now. It definately needs to be improved though and maybe if I'm lucky someday 'they' might actually consider my suggestions above. I can only wish though.
Site Admin

I'm not sure why you think we develop features that nobody want? Even if you have no plans to use a particular announced feature right now, it does not mean you won't ever get them to use in the future and nobody has such plans.
Why do you think we don't fix bugs? Didn't you receive updates on periodic manner?

As of the starup page, we run quite a standard release process that is widely accepted in software industry.
All changes in features and UI and comming out with new releases. Updtes to current version may bring only fixes and nothing else. Obviously ability to turn startup page off is not something that falls into "fix" category.

I just wanted to drop a quick thank you for making this a part of the v10 release! Smile
please allow disable of splash "Preview" screen