NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Please add ability to Minimize a Floating window

Please consider adding the ability to Minimize a Floating window. The floating window feature is super helpful, but often i wish i could temporarily minimize it, so that i can see another application behind it. For example, i have 2 monitors, and have phped on my main screen, and sometimes move a floating phped window over to my 2nd monitor, because i am copying parts of code or whatever. Then i need to get to another application behind the floating window. I can "un-float" the window, but then when i float it again, i have to drag it over to my 2nd monitor again. A minimize option on the floating window would be much easier. Thank you.
Site Admin

I'll check if it's possible to implement minimizing such windows into taskbar,
Meanwhile you can just minimize the IDE main window, because it also minimizes (or more precisely hides) all the floating windows.

Thanks for looking into adding this. I still need the main phped window open, since i'm usually debugging there, and in my example, i may have postman open in my 2nd monitor where i have a floating phped window open on top of it. So minimizing all of phped is not helpful in these cases. thanks again!
Site Admin

I didn't add floating windows to taskbar in the beginning because I did not want them to appear in Alt-Tab popup, the popup where you select _application_ you want to switch to, my personal preference is to see one icon for an app here, in particular PhpED main window would remain alone representing whole the app instance. If we add floatings to the taskbar, they will appear in Alt-Tab popup as standalone applications. Somebody may not like it working this way.

i understand the decision. that explains why it doesn't remember it's last floating position also, which would be nice too. when floating a window you have to move it each time. the default floating position is like a non-floating window, so you always have to move it. perhaps if you could add a button or link which would allow the floating window to be shrunk down to almost just a title bar, with a button to expand it again back to the remembered size? in other words, simulate a windows minimize function to some extent. Also, please consider "remembering" the floating window location and size. thanks again!
Site Admin

> it doesn't remember it's last floating position also, which would be nice too.

Hmm, it does for me.
Check if you have issues with dsk files

how should i test if i have issues with dsk files? is that where you store remembered window positions? when i right-click on an opened php file's title bar in phped editor, and select "floating...", it always opens in the editor window. if i drag it somewhere else, then right click the title bar of the floating window, and un-select "floating", it docks it back. If i right click it and select "floating..." again, it opens in the same place it did originally, (in the editor window), and not where i had dragged it to before i "un-floated" it. are you saying that for you, it's different, and that it remembers the last position you dragged it to? hmm.. i'm on a win10, and my previous notebook was win10 too, and phped did the same thing (didn't remember the last floated window position).
Site Admin

You mean different thing.
It works for me in the following case: you open file, make it floating, then quit the IDE.
Next time you run it, dock will re-appear in the saved position.
Also, you can create a workset (File->Workset), then switch to another workset, move everything around, etc. As soon as you return back to original workset, the floatings will be restored (not only floatings, but breakpoints, active project, list of files, watches, bookmarks etc)

But as you close floating dock, everything about this dock including its position is wiped off and next time you open new dock, it will re-appear in the editor position.
Probably I can save dock positions in this scenario too as a default. But it wouldn't be so natural to have them all opening at just one site of your desktop.

Thanks Dmitri. I do think it would be helpful for many if you remembered a floating window's position, so that when you close a floating window, and reopen a floating window again, you don't have to drag it again where you had it last time. Which would normally be where you want it positioned. (Not talking about closing the application. But rather closing the floating window while in the ide).

However, if you can find some way to "simulate" a toggle to "minimize / restore" a floating window, that would be good too, since as I mentioned previously, if you need to see something behind a floating window, the only way now is to either: close the floating window, or drag it somewhere out of the way. Your floating window feature is great, it would just be even more useful with these 2 features. Thanks again!!
Please add ability to Minimize a Floating window