NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PHPExpress and server

Attempted a test of PhpExpress 2.0.3 (Linux x86_64 glibc 2.3) on a fairly busy server. Loaded the module into an Apache 2.2.4 server running PHP 5.2.6, x86_64. Server has 4GB memory, and 4GB swap.

The phpexpress() function appears to say:
Memory size 8,388,544 Bytes
Memory available 5,344,088 Bytes
Memory allocated 3,044,456 Bytes

I have 128MB shared memory allocated for the server (kernel.shmmax). I have traditionally run this server with eAccelerator, with a 30MB cache.

I have read that for the free version, the memory settings are predefined and unconfigurable. How are these settings determined, as constants? What is happening when the server reaches these limits, nothing more is cached?

Thanks for any advice on running this on a busy server with a large number of scripts (and Smarty templates!).
-Alan
Site Admin

Quote:
What is happening when the server reaches these limits, nothing more is cached?

Don't worry, it continues caching. In PhpExpress we implemented some smart algorithms allows it to keep suffiently good cache hit ratio even when the code-base is 2-2.5 times bigger than the size of the cache. Also, I'd note that instead of the other php opcode caches, PhpExpress takes less memory for caching the same server.

Quote:
Memory size 8,388,544 Bytes
Memory available 5,344,088 Bytes
Memory allocated 3,044,456 Bytes

As far as I see only 3M out of 8M was used.

If you experience any problems with your busy/highly loaded web site, please contact me through the NuSphere Support and we'll check what could be done in order to get it to work better.

Something about my original post was lost or edited out... I had a different subject line and mentioned in the post that the server, a couple of minutes after coming online, crashed due to intense swapping.

I can contact your support on this, if you offer call support for the free version.
-Alan

Hi Alan,

I am using phpExpress now for a real long time on many different servers for ex. some shared hosting sites,
my own root-servers (with a lot of different domains) and on a really heavy loaded intranet solution with hundreds
of concurrent users and I've never encountered any problems so far. If server crashes then it was not as a result of phpExpress Wink
Are you sure your problems have its origin in phpExpress?

Kind regards,
Sares
PHPExpress and server