NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PhpEd versions

I was looking at the PhpEd version comparison page (http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped_verscomp.htm) and I was a bit confused; the Personal version have more features that the Standard version, yet the Personal version is cheaper. Why is that?
And can anyone confirm that the Personal version is exacly the same as the Professional or Professional Advantage version, except that you don't get the technical support and only one year free upgrade? At least thats what it says on the page.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Hi dala..

From my understanding, Personal is Pro, but for non-commercial development (ie: for freelancers, rather than employees).. Standard is a trimmed down version usable for commercial.

See Dmitri's post here for an official response.

Cheers..

Ian
Veteran

I think you can still use the personal version for commercial development (development you get paid to do or make money from, e.g. a shop or website with adverts etc), as long as you're not an employee of a company, e.g. not a self-employed freelancer.

If you're a freelancer, and you work for a company, then you need the pro version.

Its all a bit confusing, what if you own your own company as a freelancer and you're the only employee?

In the UK, you can be a limited company with only one employee, or you can be self-employed (you are the only employee). The difference between the two is limited means if it all goes wrong, you're not liable for the debts. Self-employed means if it all goes wrong, you are personally liable for the dept, and the bank will repossess your house !!

Limited companies need to pay tax and national insurance on employees, where as self employed have a much simpler tax calculations.

I don't see why a personal licence shouldn't be just that. Personal, not for working on stuff you get paid to work on, or you make money from. Thats what everybody elses personal licences mean.
Site Admin

joeb wrote:
I think you can still use the personal version for commercial development (development you get paid to do or make money from, e.g. a shop or website with adverts etc), as long as you're not an employee of a company, e.g. not a self-employed freelancer.

If you're a freelancer, and you work for a company, then you need the pro version.

No, no.
If you are a freelancer, you don't work for the same company all the time. Otherwise you can't be called freelancer Smile, not in normal sense of this word. Freelancers can use Personal license in their work.

If you're an employee (have employment contract with a company, started working for hire for a company or something like that depending on country/legislation), you can't use Personal while working for this company. What you need to perform your work is PRO or Standard license. Still, if you work as a freelancer during your spare time, fill free to use Personal license (regardless you extract profit from this work or not).

joeb wrote:

I don't see why a personal licence shouldn't be just that. Personal, not for working on stuff you get paid to work on, or you make money from. Thats what everybody elses personal licences mean.

Some legislations (some countries) assign special status for self-employed workers and do not permit making money otherwise. Some other do not establish such limits. We distingusih all the self-employed developers like freelancers allowing them to use Personal. If you're the only emploee (meaning self-employed) in your own company, Personal license is still valid for you.

I'm sorry if this all wasn't clear from the license terms http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped_personal_licensing.htm
If you have suggestions on the terms, please submit them here http://www.nusphere.com/contact_us/

Last edited by dmitri on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total

Thanks for clearing that up Smile
PhpEd versions