NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] PhPED V18 using lots of CPU when typing in IDE

Hello,

I just upgraded my copy of PhPED from V17 to V18 (Build 18023 64 bit).

It seems ok except when I type. As I type I can see in Task Manager that the cpu for the 'phped.exe' process increases significantly.

When there is nothing else active, it hits around 10% (across all cores), much of which is Kernel time.

This shouldn't be an issue, however it makes the IDE response 'jerky' in that it seems to take a little while to respond to keystrokes. This is most disconcerting, and if I can't fix it I will revert back to V17 to preserve my sanity.

I haven't changed any PhpED settings, I just did an in-situ upgrade.

My system is as follows:

Intel i7-4770 CPU (3.4Ghz, quad code hyperthreaded)
Memory: 32 Gb DDR3 (1330)
Disk: 3* Western Digital 1Tb SATA3
Windows 7 64 bit fully patched
Apache V2.4.10 32 bit
PHP: V5.5.38 32 bit

My project is quite large, around 3,000 PHP files and some 500+ Java Script files together with many supporting CSS, XML, XSL etc. files.

Yes, 3,000 PHP files, it's a big multi application system and I just treat it as one PhPED project. Though I'm only working on one or two areas at a time. It would be very difficult indeed to split it into multiple projects.

I'd appreciate any hints as to what I've done to cause this and anything I can do to stop this happening.

I did have issues with previous levels of V18, so I delayed my upgrade for a while. Build 18023 seems fine apart from this.

Regards,
Andrew.
View user's profileFind all posts by EABoolsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Small coorrection

Sorry, it should be just over 2000 PHP files, I included some backup directories when I counted the files.

Regards,
Andrew.
View user's profileFind all posts by EABoolsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Andrew,
I have slightly less powerfull hardware than yours and I didn't encounter anything like that. You may want to check on a fresh/new system to make sure there is no interference with something else installed on your system.
I think the problem might be caused by an antivirus or a kind of key logger installed on your system.
Why would kernel time be used that much by PhpED while your're typing in the editor?
You didn't say what video card hardware you're using. Is there chance it's a built-in Intel graphics and W7 Aero effects are turned on?
I'd recommend to turn them off and check.

2000 php files - can not be an issue. I tested with 16K files in a project and it worked fine.

Can't guess what else might bring the problem. V18 works really fast and we already got multiple reports confirming high performance of the IDE, including the editor.

Hello Dmitri,

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry, I should have mentioned the graphics.

My graphics are Intel HD Graphics 4700. This is built into the processor.
I'm running 3 identical 24 inch screens using DVI-D/dsub/hdmi

In the light of your comments, I've done some more testing:

I went into 'Adjust visual effects' checked 'Custom' and turned off all options. The appearance was very odd indeed.

When I typed anything I got 6-10% CPU use for about 3-4 seconds. If I type multiple characters the use remained high for longer.

The tests I did were:
1) I omitted a ';' from a line of php, waited until the CPU use was zero and then typed the ending ';'.
2) I commented out a line of PHP code using '//', again when the CPU use was shown as zero

I went into 'Adjust visual effects' and checked 'Let Windows choose what's best for my computer'. This seemed to check everything except 'Save taskbar thumbnail previews'.
I repeated my tests and got the same results.

I went into 'Adjust visual effects' and checked 'Adjust for best appearance', this seemed to check all options.

I went into 'Adjust visual effects' and checked 'Adjust for best performance' this seemed to uncheck all options.
I repeated my tests and got the same results, this time it seemed to use more CPU for longer.

I went into 'Adjust visual effects' and checked 'Custom', unchecked all options and then checked:
1) Enable aero peek
2) Enable desktop composition
3) Use visual styles on windows and buttons

This is the minimum Aero profile.

I've gone back to the 'minimum Aero' settings for now.

If you think that the Intel graphics are an issue, I could get a graphics card if I can find a relatively cheap one that supports 3 screens.

This machine has the Fujitsu corporate 'Sophos Endpoint Security and control' (Version 10.6.3.537) software running, alas I have no control over this.

I'll repeat my tests at home tonight (my machine has similar CPU/memory/disc but has one screen and a graphics card)

We are on holiday here on Thursday (Australia day) and Friday.

Thanks again for the fast response, I'm a big fan of PhpED.

Regards,
Andrew.

Hello Again Dmitri,

I tried this again at home and got a slightly different result.

When I repeated my previous tests, the PhPED process CPU went up to 14% for a second or two then came back down to nothing. Again with a very high proportion of kernel time.

I was assuming that PhpED was performing some kind of analysis of the source files for code insight processing (as the source was changed by my typing) and so was reading files (lots of them) from disk, which would mean kernel time would be higher to service the disk I/O, with the actual (quick) search running in user mode, but that's just a guess.

One other test I did was to hold down the '/' key to fill a long source line with '/' characters.
On my work machine, this stuttered, that is, it displayed the characters then paused for half a second or so then continued to display, then paused, then displayed, ...
On my home machine this did not happen, the '/' characters were displayed continuously.

My home configuration is slightly different from my work machine:
CPU: Intel I7-3370 (3.5Ghz quad core hyperthreaded)
Memory: 32 Gb DDR3 running at 1600
Disk: 2* Western digital 1Tb SATA 3.
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce gtx 650Ti
Screen: one 27 inch using DVI-D

Windows 10 fully patched.
Apache V2.4.10 21 bit (as my work machine)
PHP: V5.5.38 32 bit (as my work machine)
PhpED: V18 build 18023 64 bit (as my work machine)

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrew.
Site Admin

in other words -- according to your report there are two issues:
1) CPU usage peaks -- and you reproduce it on both home and work machines
2) 'jerky' response -- and you reproduce it only at work
so the 1st issue is not an issue at all, at least not on multicore CPU.
as of the 2nd at your work - try to close all the applications you can close, kill the rest in taskmanager (whatever it allows you to kill)
then make sure your HDD is not flashing, then re-check once again.

Good morning Dmitri,

Yes, it looks like there is at least one issue.

I was assuming that because of the increase in CPU, the display was not updated as the processor was busy (assuming the processor is involved somewhere in updating the display), especially given the high proportion of kernel time.

I wonder if this is because my work machine uses the on-board graphics whereas my home machine has a dedicated graphics card.

I tried what you suggested. On my work machine, I stopped everything I could stop, waited until the system was idle, repeated my test and got the same result.

When I hold down the '/' key to enter a long comment, it displayed one or two '/' characters then the display doesn't update for 4-5 seconds, at which time it displays many '/' characters and then pauses again, then repeats a bunch of characters hen pauses again etc.

Normal typing was also a little 'jerky' in that it repeatedly paused for a fraction of a second before continuing.

If you think it's the on-board graphics, then I'll investigate getting a dedicated graphics card though I would be interested to know why it's ok on PhpED V17 and not on V18.

Regards,
Andrew.

Hello again Dmitri,

I ran the Intel Driver Update Utility and it updated my graphics drivers from 10.18.14.4294 (25-Seo-15) to 10.18.14.4578 (04-Jan-17). There were no other updates.

I still get this issue alas.

Regards,
Andrew.
Site Admin

You need to investigate the difference between your home (where application works smoothly) and work (where application does not work smoothly)
If I got it right, there are at least two different things -- display adapter (hardware) and sophos (software)
For the sake of experiment, can you switch to built-in (CPU) graphics at home and get sophos installed?
Also it would make much more sense if you contact support and provide all the details including logs, screenshots, screecast (if possible) -- it will be easier to tell what's going on.

OK thanks Dmitri,

I'll try using the on-board graphics tonight and get back to you.

If it still happens I'll contact support as well.

My home machine has 'IntelĀ® HD Graphics 4000'.

Regards,
Andrew.

Hello Again Dmitri,

I can confirm that my inbuilt graphics on my home machine ('IntelĀ® HD Graphics 4000') does not have this issue.

When I type in PhpED, the cpu runs between 10% and 14% for a little while, and the graphics is fine, no stuttering at all.

Alas, I can't install the Sophos software as it's a corporate copy (i.e. it's totally locked down), and it needs to be installed (and updated) from the internal corporate servers which I can't access from the outside world.

I updated to the most recent Intel graphics drivers (10.18.10.4425) before I tested.

I'll assemble what stuff I can and contact support tomorrow.

Thanks for what you've done for me.

Regards,
Andrew.

Hello Dmitri,

I raised a support incident for this yesterday (Tuesday).

Jay recommended upgrading from V18023 to V18025, repeating my tests and getting screen captures if the problem re-occurred.

I upgraded and the issues went away completely.

The CPU use was much lower (<4% for less than a second) and there was no hesitation in the screen update when I was typing.

V18025 is extremely responsive in all areas, noticeably faster, very impressive indeed.

Thanks for your help

Regards,
Andrew.
[resolved] PhPED V18 using lots of CPU when typing in IDE