NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PhpEd Ubuntu?

Hello,

has anybody here tried to install PhpEd on Ubuntu? I mean did anybody here manage to install PhpEd on Ubuntu?

TIA
Eutychus
Site Admin

if you mean using wine, success depends on wine version, not on Ubuntu per se

Ok, which wine version would you recommend?
Site Admin

I didn't try it for many years. Initially it didn't work, then we fixed all issues on our side, mostly caused by assumption that PhpED will be running on real Windows, then it worked good. It was around version 4.x. Then we moved forward and added initial support for unicode in the editor and inputs, it revealed some problems on wine side, I reported them, then they fixed, something worked something didn't, then we finished transition to unicode components in ~ver 6 or 7. By that time I checked wine and it didn't work at all. This is when I lost my hopes. But, I remember I received some positive feedback from customers in their efforts to run PhpED in virtualized environments.
Feel free to try with wine shipped with OS and/or with wine available for your Ubuntu version directly from WineHQ and post your experience on this forum board.

dmitri - don't you think investing into Ubuntu & Mac development would pay off rather quickly? I have three guys on my dev team, who love PHPEd, but use Ubuntu or Mac.
Site Admin

If you mean support for Linux & Mac like native executables, out platform does not support this, sorry. I can only recommend to look at tools like vmware (fusion for Mac), parallels and finally winehq. In my experience the best tool is vmware but its overhead is somewhat heavier. I still have Fusion to run windows on my own Macs and phped in particular. Zero issues. Parallels was tinier when I tried it last time but my perception was also -- it's a little bit more fragile compared to vmware. Not sure how good it works now. As of WineHQ - it's the most fragile like I posted above. One version might work, next would not. I was puzzled.
Long story short - if you have chance to try Parallels or the other two, please post your experience here. If there are issues on our side to support the platforms better, we can look into that, of course.