NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7828
Reply with quote
Hi all and Merry Christmas,

just a quick note: phped imports settings in the registry from a previous version only and only if current version hasn't got its entry in the registry, yet. If you observed a different beaviour, it should be considered as a bug. For example after you got v11 and v12 installed and used them for at least one time, no changes to registry made by v11 will affect v12 because v12 got those values from v11 when it was run for the first time. All successive runs won't/shouldn't migrate anything.

Regarding settings in %APPDATA%\nusphere\phped\config (or whatever path pointed by HOME key in the registry), it's considered "shared" and always feeded with defaults from %PROGRAMFILES% or %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% (or whatever path the product was installed to) if the directory or corresponding file does not exist. This "fall-back" to defaults is done on per-file basis and may depend on the file version. For example, V11 may drop config files files saved by V12 to their defaults as it may not understand them anyway.

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 72
Reply with quote
Hi dmitri..

dmitri wrote:
Hi all and Merry Christmas,

just a quick note: phped imports settings in the registry from a previous version only and only if current version hasn't got its entry in the registry, yet. If you observed a different beaviour, it should be considered as a bug. For example after you got v11 and v12 installed and used them for at least one time, no changes to registry made by v11 will affect v12 because v12 got those values from v11 when it was run for the first time. All successive runs won't/shouldn't migrate anything.


Thanks for the explanation, this is certainly the behaviour that I noticed (and posted previously, although in a lot more long-winded way.. your explanation here is clearer I think).

Quote:
Regarding settings in %APPDATA%\nusphere\phped\config (or whatever path pointed by HOME key in the registry), it's considered "shared" and always feeded with defaults from %PROGRAMFILES% or %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% (or whatever path the product was installed to) if the directory or corresponding file does not exist. This "fall-back" to defaults is done on per-file basis and may depend on the file version. For example, V11 may drop config files files saved by V12 to their defaults as it may not understand them anyway.


This is an interesting point. I hadn't taken into consideration the 'Home' regkey and assumed (wrongly) that the default APPDATA location was "fixed"... so I'll address this for PSM too.

I think the most useful feature of this tool now is the simplicity in transferring settings from one box to another. Thanks for adding the migration feature into PhpED itself.. will be massively useful for the majority of your users Smile

Have a good xmas sir! Smile



Cheers..

Ian
View user's profileFind all posts by Ian.HSend private message


Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 4
Reply with quote
Thank you for this great tool! It's very helpfull, especially when working between several places (PCs).

I am surprised that PHPIDE developers did not implement export-import feature in their product, as this is almost an industry standard to have one...

This tool solves such problem and is very needful.

Good work Ian!
View user's profileFind all posts by Andrew444Send private message


Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Posts: 80
Reply with quote
Hi Ian,

I might be missing something obvious here... But please be patient with me Smile

On my PC I had PHPEd versions 10 and 12 installed and I have just installed version 13.

v10 is the one that I use and it is fully customized. I'm now trying to make 13 look like 10.

I've opened your Settings manager and there's Migrate 10 -> 13 function. I get migration confirmation message, however v13 looks nothing like v10 (font and color settings are lost).

Also, Import/Export menu items - how do I indicate whether I want to export/import settings of V10, 12 or 13 - they are all installed. What does it use as default?

Thanks!
View user's profileFind all posts by temuriSend private message


Joined: 22 Apr 2014
Posts: 18
Reply with quote
temuri wrote:
I've opened your Settings manager and there's Migrate 10 -> 13 function. I get migration confirmation message, however v13 looks nothing like v10 (font and color settings are lost).

This might be caused by the new Theme Editor, see http://forum.nusphere.com/first-experience-with-theme-editor-v13-033-t9874.html#33529#33529. Also, in the initial posting of this thread version 13 isn't listed as compatible with Ian's tool. Maybe there'll be a new version in the (near) future? Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by JCISend private message


Joined: 06 Jan 2010
Posts: 4
Reply with quote
nice tool! i hope a new version is released compatible with version 13 and 14... and in particular compatible with exporting/importing worksets

are worksets currently associated to the workspace itself rather than to the settings? i am having a hell of a time transferring my worksets right now... and i highly depend on them
View user's profileFind all posts by vesper8Send private message


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 72
Reply with quote
Hi all..

Apologies for the quietness over the past couple of versions... but I feel it only courteous to say that unfortunately, I won't be continuing with this tool to support v13 onwards.

My license subscription expired just before v13 was released (hence no v13 / v14 updates) and I have decided not to renew this time around.

That said, if there's anyone who codes in C# and wants to take the project over, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to see the source code go to a good home. It's not a complicated project, but could possibly be written better, as I'm not a C'# coder by trade Smile

The GUI would possibly need to be redone depending on the person taking it over if it went this way as it currently relies on numerous DevExpress UI components. The rest, is plain code with a couple of O/S libraries installed via NuGet in VS2013 (zip handling etc).

Thanks to all who have given support and added comments to this thread... it's been a fun project to work on Smile




Cheers..

Ian
View user's profileFind all posts by Ian.HSend private message


Joined: 29 Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
Ian.H wrote:
Hi all..

Apologies for the quietness over the past couple of versions... but I feel it only courteous to say that unfortunately, I won't be continuing with this tool to support v13 onwards.

My license subscription expired just before v13 was released (hence no v13 / v14 updates) and I have decided not to renew this time around.

That said, if there's anyone who codes in C# and wants to take the project over, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to see the source code go to a good home. It's not a complicated project, but could possibly be written better, as I'm not a C'# coder by trade Smile

The GUI would possibly need to be redone depending on the person taking it over if it went this way as it currently relies on numerous DevExpress UI components. The rest, is plain code with a couple of O/S libraries installed via NuGet in VS2013 (zip handling etc).

Thanks to all who have given support and added comments to this thread... it's been a fun project to work on Smile
thanks anyway I.an H



Cheers..

Ian
View user's profileFind all posts by hbgmysiteSend private message
PhpED Settings Mgr - Import/export your settings [Rel 1.3.0]
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 5 of 5  

  
  
 Reply to topic