33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
I AM USING PUTTY
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

PhpED’s SSH terminal work like putty

Hello,

I would like to request to make PhpED’s SSH terminal work like putty (as you know it is most wide spread SSH client and it will be great if PhpED’s will communicate with user in the same way):

1) left click – copy selected text (now it is right click)
2) right click – paste text from buffer (now I can do it only through “Edit > Paste”)

I am absolutely sure that it will be easy for you to implement. Since “Edit > Paste” works fine you have to assign “right click” in terminal window to “Edit > Paste” and “left click operation (auto copy)” to “right click”.

Waiting for you decision regarding to the subject

With best regards

Vitali

FOR EVERYONE, I AM NOT SUGGESTING TO CHANGE COPY/PASTE BEHAVIOUS IN GENERAL. I AM SUGGESTING ADDING ONE MORE OPTION "PUTTY LIKE COPY" (SO ORIGINAL PHPED’S BEHAVOUS WILL BE KEPT)

Last edited by Delphi on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Site Admin

I think it's not required. Indeed, if you have 'auto copy' checked in the terminal settings it will copy selected text without any clicks. Regaring paste, it can be done with click on the mouse wheel (middle button).

dmitri wrote:
I think it's not required. Indeed, if you have 'auto copy' checked in the terminal settings it will copy selected text without any clicks. Regaring paste, it can be done with click on the mouse wheel (middle button).

I though that every program should follow some kind of standard. Just imagine if instead of “OK” button you will see “I agree” label. Yes the meaning is the same but how log it will takes you to get into the habit to understand “I agree” as “OK” button? (Putty is the "standard" in SSH clients, it is most wide spread, the only one disadvantage which it has is absence of "save password", for security reasons) Furthermore it is a couple of lines to add to make this feature available.

I hope you understand my point and I will wait for other users’ opinion.

P.S. I am using putty for last 4 years (most of users couple of times more) and it is quite difficult to change this behavior (left and right button).
Site Admin

Middle click for paste is a standard thing at least under KDE, not sure about Gnome.
Putty is a known stuff only under Windows but even there I can hardly call it standard.
It is just insane to bind paste to right click and we'll never follow this. What will you with with putty right-click to paste binding if you need this right click to be processed by the application you run in the terminal? Just for example Midnight Commander uses right-click for selecting the files and directories.

dmitri wrote:
Middle click for paste is a standard thing at least under KDE, not sure about Gnome.
Putty is a known stuff only under Windows but even there I can hardly call it standard.
It is just insane to bind paste to right click and we'll never follow this. What will you with with putty right-click to paste binding if you need this right click to be processed by the application you run in the terminal? Just for example Midnight Commander uses right-click for selecting the files and directories.

First of all let’s speak about paste operation in general. Neither middle button nor other mouse buttons works on my PhpED 5.2 (the latest build) as paste from buffer. I do not think that going to menu “Edit > Paste” is quite easy thing to do, am I right?

“Putty is a known stuff only under Windows” and no one argue about this. Since you are developing PhpED for both win and *nix systems you should take into consideration not only *nix users opinions (habits) but our, win users as well (once again this innovation is couple of lines in code).

“What will you with putty right-click to paste binding if you need this right click to be processed by the application you run in the terminal?”
First of all I can not imagine context menu in consol application Smile IMHO it is really useless. I am not suggesting changing behavior of copy/paste in general but allowing us, users to choose how we would like to treat left and right mouse click in SSH terminal (add one more check box in properties, under Smart copy “PuTTY like copy”).

“Just for example Midnight Commander uses right-click for selecting the files and directories.”
You are speaking about program under *nix again not win.

Ok, now I have even better suggestion, add two boxes to “Tools > Terminal” where user will assign their own preference for copy and paste operation.

What do you think about this?

p.s. Regarding to “I can hardly call it standard”. Of cause you have your own opinion but please read at list this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY I do not think that the program will be so wide spread and translated to other platforms if it will be a crap. Not to mention that every hosting or dedicated server providers suggest to use PuTTY as stabile SSH client under Win.

p.p.s Unfortunately I think it will be easier for me to ask PuTTY developers to add “save password” option and more back to PuTTY than ask you to add so simple innovation Sad (Privately, I have found quiet important bug in your SSH but why I should help you and do a report if you do not care about my problem?).
Site Admin

People are using terminals to connect to their unix servers and it's normal to have unix-style paste there.
Right-click can not be used for paste because of the reasons explained above.

Quote:
First of all I can not imagine context menu in consol application IMHO it is really useless.

I'm not sure what context menus you're about. In my example I referred to Midnight commander and it just selects the file or directory you right click on.

Quote:
You are speaking about program under *nix again not win

yes, sure and it's an appropriate example because it's the main purpose for ssh and telnet terminals connect to unix servers. Almost all unix servers have ssh daemon shipped and installed by default. Do you know any Windows distro that comes with sshd? So...

Try to google for "paste with middle click". If it were not so widely spreaded, we would not use this. Just think, it works in firefox, email, vim, all text editors. It's unclear why putty used its own dirty way. You'd better recommend those guys to switch to the standards Smile

BTW, I just tried putty and its paste bound to right-click just did not work while I worked with mc fron-end Smile Indeed, it's a funny story.