NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PhpED periodically is non-responding

I have PhpED 15.0 running on Windows 7 with PHP running on local Linux box and drive mapped via Samba.

Usually, all is great, except every now and then PhpED just hangs for 1 to 5 minutes and Windows shows it as non-responding.

What causes this and how can it be fixed?

Thanks

I only upgraded to PhpED 15.0 today, and am finding that the occurrence of hanging up appears to be more often (ever few minutes), and the software is becoming not useable.

It seems to only happen when I type code. When it happens, the Windows processor works hard and much memory is being used.

Please provide suggestions.

Thanks

i bet my ass on the samba Smile

Just use the "ftp" solution which the editor provides.

if you dont know what I am talking about just say

Thanks for your reply r1d3r,

Samba makes it very nice in that it eliminates the two sets of code becoming unsynchronized.

It seems that the real hangups occur when I have an opened unnamed file. After figuring this out, things are much more reasonable.

I guess you "fixed" your problem, what I will just tell you is why I love the ftp/stfp stuff:

1. In case you go to the same mounted folder and u delete all files, by misstake or whatever, simply you dont care, right click on project upload, and everuthing is perfect
2. Now how to IDE's are working, they read all the files and each keypup they do "ajax" in all your files to get the autocomplate, so in samba mounted folder each keypup goes there, however if you use the ftp, you are actually quering your own HDD so everything is a bit faster. ( in editor setting i changed my autocompalte to min chars: 1 and no delay, and it works swell
3. ( recently happened to me ) I had a customer i made her a website runing on some hosting company. 2 years later she says "can we make it run again", later i find out she didnt pay the first hosting so all files were lost. I checked my older project, and I found her project, after that in a matter of mins I had all the code needed

Well i guess you can figure out the pluses by yourself, however the are soome drowbacks:

1. For example you go and create a new file name koko.php in the (main dir) and you save upload it. So the ide will create this file on the remote machine. Ok so far, but if you want to delete this file from the remote machine is different story. Eather you have to sync scan the project, click to say to delete this crappy file and so on, or you have to open my computer go to this project dir, right click delete... which is not that much at the end, but still the way it is

// there was 1 more thing but while I was writing the first one i forgot it Smile

Anyways have a nice coding Wink

Hello r1d3r,

I used ftp/sftp for years, and there is nothing wrong with it. And in addition to the occasional buggyness, I fully agree that tasks such as searching for some text runs faster when having the script local to the PC.

I changed workflow after I started using Git. Do you use it? If not, you should definitely consider!

I couldn't, however, find a good approach to using Git and PhpED when needing to emulate script on a Linux server. My configuration is rather odd, and anyone who knows much about Git will say I am doing wrong, but it works perfect for me.

I run Git on my local Linux server, and not the PC (this is where everyone says I am wrong). I share the Linux server with the PC running PhpED using Samba. When I am ready, commit the changes and push them to my remote Git repository. I can then pull the script to a production server.

there is no "wrong" solution since it working perfectly for you.
And yea, until they implement git functionality in the nuSphere it will be like that.

my process is -> i code what i have to code, I open putty, ssh , git status , git pull, push etc...
//but i have my own server hosted in a hosting company.. so i have 2 different domains for dev and prod

but yea, nice set up you got there. Razz
PhpED periodically is non-responding