NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PHPED in 64bit

Hi,

I am a big fan of your PHP IDE. I only wish it would start supporting 64 bits. As of two weeks ago there is an official releas of WAMP Server for 64 bit. So, I believe it is time for your IDE to begin supporting 64 bit. I am aware of the difficulty with regard to PHP compiling and debugger integration but I'm sure that many developers would greatly benefit from a 64 bit.

Thank you!

lol....
Guru master

Been running phped on a 64bit OS since ages and never had any issues with it. I don't think there are a lot of benefits of having a 64 bit PhpED, unless you have projects that require more than 4GB of ram or something... One of the only things I can think of is that it would show the 64bit software in the shell menu but that's pretty much everything.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

64 bit gives u access to more than 4 G of memory... if u have scripts that require that kind of memory you are doing it wrong.

Only a cli-php should be used for this kind of tasks and usually is better to keep it under 2 G of ram, as the overhead increases dramatically.

But this doesn't mean u need a 64 bit editor to run code in a 64 bit environment... the code will work the same. You may want debugger support, but I don't see why the 32 bit version wouldn't work, and if it doesn't it can easily be compiled for x64.

and yes as Blizz said it would show the 64 bit software in the shell menu so u won't have to install the 32 bit version on tortoise SVN just to use it in PhpEd shell menu, but that is the only difference between a 64 bit PhpEd and the current 32 bit version.
Veteran

I could be wrong, but think PhpED is developed using Delphi. There have been promises of a Delphi 64-bit compiler for years, but nothing has realised yet. So, unless NuSphere switch to another development platform (which would be a major undertaking), I do not think we will see a 64-bit version of PhpED any time soon.

And as Blizz and SFera commented, the current version of PhpED functions fine in a 64-bit Windows environment.

I would have assumed it was developed using C++ since you install a Visual C++ redistribution pack when you install PHPed
PHPED in 64bit