NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
phpEd FTP confusion

Hi All,

I've a slight issue with phpEd at the moment, on my Linux server all is well and good but when I switch to IIS I have FTP issues where the server defaults to my FTP catch all.

My question is, why if I log in with phpEd using the same settings as my other programs (SmartFTP and Dreamweaver) do I get shown the catch all instead of the site root? Every setting is the same as the other FTP programs and they work fine?

Any ideas?

Kind Regards - Trev
Guru master

It almost sounds like Microsoft FTP isn't getting a username/password so is doing an anonymous FTP.

Are you able to check in the logs on Windows to confirm which username was used to connect?

Hi,

I've checked the logs, they say I'm connecting with the correct user and it's authenticating fine... I've just bought into a new dedicated server with IIS7.5 (previous was IIS5) and I couldn't FTP to that either so I've installed a different ftp server (FileZilla) on there and it works fine. Very strange...

Kind Regards - Trev
Site Admin

to your "FTP catch all"? What does this mean?
If you meant that it jumped to wrong directory called catch, just enter correct directory in corresponding input in the account settings.

I will try that but again, with every other ftp client I connect with the users authentication details and it takes me straight to the sites root directory... what makes phped different? I doubt that will work anyway as the unauthenticated account has no access to the site roots. I will let you know when I get to work tomorrow.

Kind regards - Trev
Site Admin

May be that's because all those tools do not show TREE of the directories? So they do not care if user has an access to the root or not. With phped you see the tree and perhaps you expect to see something in the root. Otherwise, why don't you chroot it to a lower directory where user should have an access?

dmitri, that does appear to be the issue, the other tools consider the root as the directory that the user has access to, yet phpEd considers it to be the ftp root of the server. Due to the site directories being virtual you cannot navigate to the site from the root using the TREE, but specifying the virtual directory name in the connection details seems to sort it.

The confusion here was the FTP client considering the root directory differently to the rest of the FTP clients I've used. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Kind Regards - Trev
Guru master

That was actually my last suggestion on the other thread where we were discussing FTP issues http://forum.nusphere.com/phped-ftp-connecting-without-directory-listing-t8307.html Smile

Oops, missed that, thank you too then plugnplay!

Kind regards - Trev
phpEd FTP confusion