NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

i'm curently using TextMate. i love the code completion but i miss a lot of features that come with PhpEd.

randy wrote:
If there wasn't so much inflexibility from so many folks (or just two)[...]But I'm about to be flamed about why my choices are so awfully wrong because they are not like either of yours.

Hey, wait a minute here! What d'ya think we are, unsophistatites? Smile

Seriously, time permitting, I'm always up for a good debate, but I'm just not the blanket flamer type. I've been around the 'Net block too many times, and seen too many stupid flame wars fanned by hordes of doofuses (ahhh, Usenet), to be into that sort of thing.

And actually, as it happens, I'd use Linux if I didn't have my Mac. But I have my Mac....

Are you using the version actually released for Linux, or are you using the Windows version under Wine?
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

BlackGas wrote:
1. What IDE do you currently use within OSX?

I'm not presently using an OS X-native IDE. I'm running PhpED in VMware. I regularly supplement PhpED with BBEdit when PhpED's built-in editor isn't up to the job, but BBEdit is just a text editor (well, just a text editor in the same sense that a Ferrari is just a car). I also occasionally throw the OS X command line at my projects for various utilitarian purposes.

I might try Komodo or Zend or Eclipse sometime, but since I already have my PhpED license (from before I was given a Mac to replace the Windows machine I used to have), and since the NuSphere folks have been so good to me and have done such a good job evolving PhpED in my preferred directions, I'm not likely to fully switch anytime soon.

Although it could take a (long) while, I'm not giving up hope on a native PhpED....

Quote:
2. Wouldn't it be more sensible (given the age of this topic) to get your current IDE developer to create an app on par with PhpEd?

Per my answer above, that's not really an option Smile. I have, however, considered doing something myself, perhaps building a PHP plug-in to Xcode, much like the VS.php plug-in on the Windows side.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

Hi Bob, Very Happy

I like your attitude.... I've been at this a while too, and like you, I enjoy choices. NuShpere is a smart company and understands where the bulk of the money is as opposed to where the bulk of the passion is...that said, they develop for Windows. The market just isn't sustainable elsewhere (yet maybe?). It's that simple.

As for me, Linux and PHPEd, you and me have had this conversation some time ago, you just don't remember I guess. You steadfastly refuse to use wine as I recall. But that's where I'm at. The lastest releases of both PHPEd and Wine are working very, very well together.

Flexibility...the key to a great operating system...like OS X.

Best Regards,

Randy
View user's profileFind all posts by randySend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

yet, wine guys with 0.9.52-0.9.54 releases went in a wrong direction and broke some stuff they seems fixed in 0.9.48-0.9.49 and added new problems. I heard they're trying to get adobeCS2 running under wine and probably do not care of the rest or maybe assigned a lower priority. So, in my honest opinion, wine 0.9.49 is the only at the moment which runs phped more or less smoothly.
We'll be working with them on the problems.

randy wrote:
You steadfastly refuse to use wine as I recall. But that's where I'm at. The lastest releases of both PHPEd and Wine are working very, very well together.

I can't speak for whether this agrees with my earlier self... but it's not that I refuse to run it, but at least for now, I don't really need to. There are some things I do for work that require Windows, so I already have it running all day every day in VMware, and I have sufficient computing resources to do that comfortably. (In fact, keeping VMware running full-screen on a secondary virtual desktop, it truly feels like two computers in one.) Thus, it makes more sense to just run PhpED natively.

That said, I have at least started to experiment with running PhpED in Wine, though time restrictions mean that I've really only gotten it launched and little else. NuSphere's active efforts to make it run well are what pushed me to try it out. After all, I'm hoping to eventually not need Windows full-time, but rather just for certain projects, and that can't happen without being able to run PhpED sans Windows. Running it in Wine is far removed from a real native version, of course, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Incidentally, don't be surprised if you see posts from me in the future asking for tips to get PhpED running smoothly with Wine Smile.

Dmitri,

I'm running 0.9.54 and it is running excellently with the few minor outstanding exceptions (not new). PM me and I'll recap those with you. 0.9.53 definitely broke it, but 0.9.54 seems to work great.

Bob,

You're welcome to pm or e-mail me personally any time you'd like.

Randy
View user's profileFind all posts by randySend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
PM me and I'll recap those with you

Randy, thanks.

i see a lot of activity but still no answer on the subject. is there a osx version planned?
can anyone give an answer on this?

After developing on XP for 6 years and now Vista for the past 9mths, I am finally ready to dump Vista and get myself a computer that I can rely on. I have had many friends praise their MAC's but after buying a macbook for my daughter a month ago, I am convinced. Having to boot my Vista desktop everyday to resolve a GD memory issue and having settings disappear, phantom issues, I have finally given up and just want to do my job and need a reliable development platform.

I too really want a native OSX version of PHPEd as I really like the IDE and don't want to go back to text editors.

Even having PHPEd and my other familiar tools is not enough now to hold me back from switching to a MAC and I know many others thinking the same. Vista is a real disappointment after an 8 year wait Rolling Eyes

So what are the plans for NuSphere and PHPEd?

It's kind of a catch-22. I think more people would switch to a Mac if things like PHPEd and other 'preferred' tools were supported on it, yet the developers of such tools would only feel it worth creating a Mac version if more people used it.

I'm thinking a bit like bl248 above, Vista was disappointing and cost me a lot of time with strange bugs. The next time I replace my main machine it'll be a Mac.

So yes, I'd love to see PHPEd supported on the Mac, but I can see that NuSphere would have to justify the development cost against the amount of potential customers. Until such a time I'll have to settle for VMWare or Parallels after I make the switch.
PHPEd on Mac

Hi all,

Has anyone been able to run successfully recent PHPEd on Mac? I've been told that IDE is just crashing randomly shortly after launch.

Thanks!
PHPEd for Mac OS/X?