NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PHPED, Dreamweaver and Source Control systems

Hello,

my company has recently downloaded NuSphere 4.01 for a trial session. However, we cannot get it installed properly so that it checks in/checks out the files. The manual that accompanies this release is cryptic at best, and is not very helpful when it comes to troubleshooting. Our site is served off of the remote server with all remote files locally backed up on our local in-company LAN (standard Dreamweaver stuff), to and from which we used to upload/download the source using Dreamweaver MX via an ftp connection. When trying to upload a file to the remote server now, we keep getting a 'Socket Error 11004'. That is literally all that the message says, so we have no clue as to where the error actually is. Is it because our setting in 'Accounts' is specified improperly? Is it because the repository is not properly set (we cannot check out the files either)? We spent the last two days trying to figure this out with no positive result. The IDE looks very powerful, but we cannot make a commitment to it if we can't even get past the initial set up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--tony.

tdavydets wrote:
Hello,

my company has recently downloaded NuSphere 4.01 for a trial session. However, we cannot get it installed properly so that it checks in/checks out the files. The manual that accompanies this release is cryptic at best, and is not very helpful when it comes to troubleshooting. Our site is served off of the remote server with all remote files locally backed up on our local in-company LAN (standard Dreamweaver stuff), to and from which we used to upload/download the source using Dreamweaver MX via an ftp connection. When trying to upload a file to the remote server now, we keep getting a 'Socket Error 11004'. That is literally all that the message says, so we have no clue as to where the error actually is. Is it because our setting in 'Accounts' is specified improperly? Is it because the repository is not properly set (we cannot check out the files either)? We spent the last two days trying to figure this out with no positive result. The IDE looks very powerful, but we cannot make a commitment to it if we can't even get past the initial set up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--tony.

Tony, I am not official support, but if you are using Check-in/out from dreamweaver that is not the same as in PhpEd. PhpEd uses CVS, dreamweaver uses proprietary stuff and WebDAV.
View user's profileFind all posts by Rick ChristySend private messageYahoo Messenger
Socket Error 11004

"Tony, I am not official support, but if you are using Check-in/out from dreamweaver that is not the same as in PhpEd. PhpEd uses CVS, dreamweaver uses proprietary stuff and WebDAV."

yes, I know that it uses cvs and dreamweaver does not (but thank you still Wink) . I was simply trying to explain that this is the way that we have stuff set up at the present moment without going into too many details, and looking for a way for dreamweaver and PHPEd to easily co-exist so that we can utilize both (possibly at the same time). Has anyone had to deal with a similar issue (or does anyone have any ideas)?

Thanks in advance,

tdavydets wrote:
"Tony, I am not official support, but if you are using Check-in/out from dreamweaver that is not the same as in PhpEd. PhpEd uses CVS, dreamweaver uses proprietary stuff and WebDAV."

yes, I know that it uses cvs and dreamweaver does not (but thank you still Wink) . I was simply trying to explain that this is the way that we have stuff set up at the present moment without going into too many details, and looking for a way for dreamweaver and PHPEd to easily co-exist so that we can utilize both (possibly at the same time). Has anyone had to deal with a similar issue (or does anyone have any ideas)?

Thanks in advance,

Okay, while I was writing that to you I googled for "dreamweaver cvs" and found an extension that may be just what you want:
It adds CVS support to DW.

http://www.grafxsoftware.com/product.php?id=22

And another link with more info on that: http://www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=5864

And one more from CVSNT page referring to same product: http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/ThirdPartyTools

Assume this is a good extension if it's endorsed by CVSnt.

This would make phped and dw interoperable for your version control. PhpEd's CVS support works great in all my testing, I have not however tried this extension though.

Hope that helps.
View user's profileFind all posts by Rick ChristySend private messageYahoo Messenger

yeah, that does help a bit, thank you. I've decided to use the WebDAV account with PHPEd, though (similar to Dreamweaver's on port 80) instead of getting into the whole concurrent versioning mess. However, when trying to upload the file to the specified server, I still get a Socket Error 11004 (even when using the actual IP address as opposed to the URL alias). If I can't get it figured out in the next day or so, I'm just going to go to a different IDE (at least the one with a better manual anyway Wink). Thanks for the help anyhow. And if anyone out there has ever had to do what I'm trying to do, any help, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rick Christy wrote:

Quote:
Okay, while I was writing that to you I googled for "dreamweaver cvs" and found an extension that may be just what you want:

And another link with more info on that:

And one more from CVSNT page referring to same product: http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/ThirdPartyTools

This would make phped and dw interoperable for your version control. PhpEd's CVS support works great in all my testing, I have not however tried this extension though.

Hope that helps.

tdavydets wrote:
yeah, that does help a bit, thank you. I've decided to use the WebDAV account with PHPEd, though (similar to Dreamweaver's on port 80) instead of getting into the whole concurrent versioning mess. However, when trying to upload the file to the specified server, I still get a Socket Error 11004 (even when using the actual IP address as opposed to the URL alias). If I can't get it figured out in the next day or so, I'm just going to go to a different IDE (at least the one with a better manual anyway Wink). Thanks for the help anyhow. And if anyone out there has ever had to do what I'm trying to do, any help, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rick Christy wrote:

Quote:

http://www.grafxsoftware.com/product.php?id=22

And another link with more info on that: http://www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=5864

Hope that helps.

Can you please paste what you have in your project settings? The FTP uploader uses project settings as well, so those have to match up with what is going on with the FTP host, etc.
Site Admin

Hello there Smile
Thanks Rick for your help.

I think that everything is simplier than that Smile
Tony please check hostname you specified in the account settings.
Account type itself implies protocol to be used and therefore hostname may not contain protocol specifiers like ftp:// http:// https:// and so forth. Similarly, it may not contain path, even a single slash.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

thank you for your response. i guess the thing that I'm having problems with conceptually is how to set up the NuSphere IDE so that I don't have to have a local repository. We don't use CVS at all, but rather WebDAV built into Dreamweaver for source control (so, none of our source files actually reside on anyone's local machine) . We wanted to be able to setup NuSphere so that it mimicks Dreamweaver's functionality when it comes to checking in/checking out files, but additionally be able to use NuSphere's debugger as well. This way, we could use both Dreamweaver and NuSphere concurrently. I know that if the debugger is run in 3rd party server http mode it is not necessary to have php and repositories installed on your local machine, so what we are after seems possible. However, I have no clue how to achieve what I described above. Our site is served off of the remote 3rd party server with a back up on our local in-company LAN. How do I go about setting up the NuSphere IDE? Do I use the pserver method? Which account type do I need (ftp, ssh, webdav)? Do I need SSL enabled? If I do need a WEBDav account, what do I speciy for 'source control' in project properties? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much once again,

tdavydets wrote:
thank you for your response. i guess the thing that I'm having problems with conceptually is how to set up the NuSphere IDE so that I don't have to have a local repository. We don't use CVS at all, but rather WebDAV built into Dreamweaver for source control (so, none of our source files actually reside on anyone's local machine) . We wanted to be able to setup NuSphere so that it mimicks Dreamweaver's functionality when it comes to checking in/checking out files, but additionally be able to use NuSphere's debugger as well. This way, we could use both Dreamweaver and NuSphere concurrently. I know that if the debugger is run in 3rd party server http mode it is not necessary to have php and repositories installed on your local machine, so what we are after seems possible. However, I have no clue how to achieve what I described above. Our site is served off of the remote 3rd party server with a back up on our local in-company LAN. How do I go about setting up the NuSphere IDE? Do I use the pserver method? Which account type do I need (ftp, ssh, webdav)? Do I need SSL enabled? If I do need a WEBDav account, what do I speciy for 'source control' in project properties? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much once again,

Dmitri will answer most of this but, the debugger can debug any php page on a server that has the dbg php extension installed. The IDE will happily do that and I am sure of this as I do it here. However the WebDAV stuff I am not sure about and dmitri will have to answer. PhpEd by nature of how it works needs the local copies I think though, to provide all of the features and so on (i think). For instance if I debug a page that is outside of my project scope, it will show me the source and let me step through it and set breakpoints and all that but it wont be able to find some dependencies because it cannot possibly do so sometimes. It all depends on how you work I guess. Hopefully you get it setup how you need it and PhpEd can help.

I will tell you this, any other PHP based IDE (including Zends) is inferior to PhpEd and it's debugging facilities. I speak from experience having tried them all as well. Additionally there are some free IDEs that are better than commercial ones but it all depends on what you are trying to do and how you plan to work.

Good luck.

it's not even that I don't want to use a local repository, I'm just not sure how to set it up so that I don't alter the current Dreamweaver structure, but rather add to it.

also, if I do use a local repository, will I have to have all the databases that we use stored on local as well (we use a PHP/MySQL data-driven model)?

PhpED supports WebDav protocol and in particular allow you download/upload/lock/unlock files and directories. It does not support file-versioning extensions and I'm not sure if it would interfere with your current scheme when you will run download/upload from the IDE. I'd recommend you to add a new file, perform fiew operations on it using Dreamweaver to get its modification history, then downlaod it from PHPED, modify and upload back. Then check if you're okay with what you see in your repository.

If you think that simple-plain upload-downloads from the ide are not sufficient for your work. I'd recommend you setup SVN source control repository on the server and Tortoise SVN client on the client machines. No special steps are required on the IDE. You'll see all Tortoise-SNV commands in the Project tree popup automatically.

Regarding debugger, as Rick mentioned before, you'd need local copies of the files. In this order you may want to either setup network shares (native for Windows or Samba for unix) or use local copies accessible via source control system like SVN or CVS. Please note, that these systems do not care of your web server. They maintain the repository that would be accessible by their own system core only and all other machines including your web server are CLIENTS. So, in particular when you check out/check in files from/into source control repository your changes are in this repository only (just think of it as a blackbox), and to have these changes put on the web site, you'd need to run checkout or export from the web site. In other words, you'd need cvs or svn clients installed on the server and have somebody who would run their commandline utilities. Latter job could be done using a simple PHP script, invoked from the web site itself. Not a big deal. Anyway, check sourcecontrol's manual to understand all the details before going ahead.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
PHPED, Dreamweaver and Source Control systems