NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PhpED 9.0 startup page in editor

PhpED 9.0 is nice; how do I prevent the "startup" page in the editor from appearing when I first start the editor? I did not find an option in the Editor section of settings to prevent this from happening.

I just want the empty editor pane, with the blank background to appear when I first start PhpED and before I open a workspace.

Thanks.

Absolutely agree, please add option to disable the start up screen!! Don't go the Microsoft way.

Temuri
Veteran

I'd also like to disable this screen.

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

You probably forgot about beginners who didn't use the IDE before and they need to get familar with IDE features.
Also, opening previous projects or workspaces or files using startup page is faster. Just one click.
Probably what you dislike is the design, but it's only matter of taste.

dmitri wrote:
You probably forgot about beginners who didn't use the IDE before and they need to get familar with IDE features.

Well, no, in fact I didn't. If the screen is active by default, but there's an option to turn it off, there won't be any disadvantage for beginners.

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

but you still didn't explain what you don't like in the startup. If a feature is harmless, we perhaps won't touch it.

dmitri,

I think I have a good reason to get rid of intro screen.

I've noticed that if I restart PHPEd 9, my last opened workspace is now no longer active. I have to go to FILE->RECENT WORKSPACES.

Now that is a REAL pain and extremely irritating (if something not broken - why fix it?). Why am I seeing that useless intro screen when I am working on the same project day after day after day?

Do you see my point?

Regards,
Temuri

I'd also like the disable the welcome screen.

This might sounds strange, but I prefer starting with a clean slate. I don't wanna get reminded about other projects or tasks. It's stressful.

Edit: It seems the recent project list is the one from the last used workspace, which is confusing I think, even to beginners?

What's so bad about this new page? All you do next is on one page. You don't need to click through menus.

I think I like it.

temuri wrote:
dmitri,

I think I have a good reason to get rid of intro screen.

I've noticed that if I restart PHPEd 9, my last opened workspace is now no longer active. I have to go to FILE->RECENT WORKSPACES.

Now that is a REAL pain and extremely irritating (if something not broken - why fix it?). Why am I seeing that useless intro screen when I am working on the same project day after day after day?

Do you see my point?

Regards,
Temuri

temuri, they are likely forcing this, ignoring your suggestion, because it makes NuSphere appear to load faster. By not loading a Workspace by default, they can skip doing all the file scans and other work associated with loading a Workspace, thus making NuSphere appear to load faster. That's my guess why they are pushing back on your valid idea.

temuri wrote:

Now that is a REAL pain and extremely irritating (if something not broken - why fix it?).

That's exactly my complaint. It's *not* faster for me, Dmitri, it's slower because I have to interact with the program before the workspace gets loaded, which I didn't have to in previous versions of PhpED.

As I said: No problem, make this the default, but please add an option to restore the old behavior!

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

Quote:
It's *not* faster for me, Dmitri, it's slower because I have to interact with the program before the workspace gets loaded

But the program may not know what workspace or project or file you want to work now and you had to a) wait until old workspace is loaded, then b) close it and wait until it is closed then c) open the one you want
Sure, it *is* faster with startup page.

If, on the other hand, you created a -one-for-now-and-for-ever-workspace- and work with it for long time, you may want to check "auto load workspace" in IDE settings. That's it.