NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PhpDock and databases

Okay, I'm happy with running PHP apps with PhpDock, but I know nothing about incorporating database functionality. I don't want to use flat file databases and I'm happy using MySQL in a remote server enviroment, but what can we do with PhpDock?

Are there any PhpDock database tutorials or example available?

I believe it's not possible to distribute MySQL commercially without a hefty license fee so what are the alternatives and are they free to distribute?
Site Admin

example that comes with phpdock (the converter) shows how to use nusoap and sqlite. Latter one is a robust and low-resource consuming database for php applications. I'd recommend you to try it first.
Regarding mysql, I see no problems using it too. Do you? All you need is php_mysql.dll (taken for example from php.net win32 binaries for php-5.1.6 or from phped distro) or even php_mysqli.php if you prefer OOP...

Thanks. I don't really want to complicate matters with nusoap, but I'll have a closer look at the converter.

With regards to MySQL, is it free to distribute within a commercial application? Somebody suggested to me that it wasn't.

If it isn't free to distribute, is sqlite?
Site Admin

Probably you need to consult with MySQL company if you want to distribute their product (wholly or partially).
As I understand (just a my personal opinion!, not competent!), you can't distribute MySQL with commercial products, exceptions are made only for friendly products like PHP.

Let's say I have a commercial application that I wanted to distribute on a PHPDock platform, would I be allowed use sqlite?

For example, if Nusphere wanted to sell their currency converter PHPDock application would there be any restrictions with sqlite or PHP for that matter?
I hope so...

... as that's what I'm about to start doing Smile

From http://www.sqlite.org/copyright.html

"The original author of SQLite has dedicated the code to the public domain. Anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or distribute the original SQLite code, either in source code form or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any means."

Andy

Andrew,

Once again, you've come up trumps! Smile

Now, have you considered your end user licence? Wink

Glad to have helped.

For the license, I just took one from somewhere else, after giving it the once-over. Naughty, I know, but there you go.

Andy
PhpDock and databases