NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PHP5 Debugging

What is the situation regarding moving over to PHP5?

Will a free version of the debugger be available, or are we going to have to purchace something to get one.

Currently I am running Eclipse and PHPEclipse with dubugging, but I'd like to get moving to PHP5, rather than debugging in PHP4 and then checking in PHP5 Razz
Site Admin

php5 is still pretty unstable. Taking into account all the history with php3 to php4 migrating, I think it may take up to a year or even more until php5 will become good for a production web.
On the other hand it does not mean that Debugger module won't be available till that. Free version will be done in a month or about.
Maybe with php5rc1 release.

Version for php5b4 is already available to phped customers.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

It looks as if I my need to buy a copy of phped, even if I am not going to use it Smile

People keep saying that PHP5 is unstable, but my copies are running fine. I do get an ocassional shut down on Apache, but usually after I've been playing with a duff page. The test sites just keep running.
Site Admin

No, it does not look like that. I mentioned that to let you undersstand NuSphere pay attention to customers needs first, then take care of free version.

Regarding php5, just take a look at bugs.php.net to see how many opened crash-bugs are still there.

BTW, php5rc1 will be released on 03/17 (hopefully) and therefore you may expect dbg module free version released in approx. 2 weeks.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

I don't mind spending money supporting PHP, the problem is finding where to spend it effectivly Wink

With regards to PHP5 stability - My copies running on Windows/Apache2 have not had a problem this last week and unless I am using the bug site incorrectly, the total number of outstanding PHP5 BUGS is only 38 and most of them are not a problem ( I do keep an eye on them Smile )

Looking forward to the RC ...
Site Admin

Do you run php as a CGI module then ?

No - Apache Services Monitor says

Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) PHP/5.0.0b4

Running demos of ibWebAdmin and phpGedView along with TikiWiki 1.8.1, but that does have some problems, as I havn't finished the port to Firebird yet Wink

Just switched to rc1.

Couple of niggles with ADOdb ( in TikiWiki ) which have now been fixed, so we will see how it goes.
rc1 is a mess

lsces wrote:
Just switched to rc1.
Couple of niggles with ADOdb ( in TikiWiki ) which have now been fixed, so we will see how it goes.

I'm doing PhpWiki.
rc1 was a mess. class var's are deprecated.
5.0.0b4 was okay. A recent rc2 snapshot is much better.
But to get any debugger working on windows with php5 is a mess.
xdebug not, apd not, dbg not. zend also not.
not with apache 1 and not with apache 2. tried any available binary version.
any update

I've been using PHP5 for several months with very few problems (currently at RC3). Any update on the plans to enable PHP5 debugging?

Thanks much
Felix
Site Admin

Atually PhpED already supports debugging of PHP5 and comes with appropriate modules.

ddmitrie wrote:
Atually PhpED already supports debugging of PHP5 and comes with appropriate modules.

Only PHP5 RC2.

PHP5 has gone gold as of a couple days ago, and there still isn't even an RC3 DBG module. The RC2 .so didn't work with RC3, and definitely doesn't work with release.

At one point you said that the RC3 DBG would be out with phpEd 3.3.2, but now PHP5 is at full release. How long till a module?

There's no 4.3.7 (or 4.3.8 which was released the same day as PHP 5.0.0), either.
View user's profileFind all posts by SigneSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
PHP5 Debugging