NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Guru master

You could always apply to be a beta tester and possibly start using PhpED v17 straight away.

The NuSphere debugger is probably PhpED's best asset. There really is no doubt that it is better than Xdebug. I use both regularly (every day) and Xdebug can be a pain. Some of the issues are Xdebug, some are possibly how it is implemented with PhpStorm. I have never found the NuSphere debugger to interfere with running code (at least not without forgotten watches), but I do find Xdebug can interfere with code just by using the various inspection panels.

If you rarely use a debugger then maybe you simply don't need PhpED and PhpStorm is best for you.

I use both PhpED and PhpStorm, sometimes even switching between them on the same projects to get the specific benefits of each. Both Xdebug and NuSphere DBG are installed on the server together, but if I want to do some debugging, I prefer to use PhpED.

I'm a *nix/terminal guy as well. I don't use the terminals from either product, I use Bitvise SSH Client. The 2015 release had a vastly improved terminal which is great.

Agree on getting started with PhpStorm; damn confusing getting my first debug going. Was much easier with PhpED.

This delay with the debugger for php7 is getting stupid now. Could it be that NuSphere and/or phped is just a dying product here?

Has anyone tried out the cloud based ide systems like Cloud9, codeanywhere, codeenvy, koding, etc.? I am super interested in these due to the flexibility they would have in allowing me to use any computer any where to do work, so when i travel with a laptop I wouldn't have to keep sensitive data on the laptop that could get stolen.

Thoughts and/or feedback anyone?
PHP7 DBG is out!

Hey guys, just to inform you - DBG PHP 7 support is out since yesterday (build 17015).
I already purchased a licence & fixed some stuff on PHP 7.0.5 - debug session works great again!

I did download and install phped on my win10 workstation, and also enabled the .so file on my centos webserver that runs nginx with php7 using php70-fpm, but every time i try to invoke a debug session i get an error in /var/log/messages that says:

kernel: php-fpm[9145]: segfault at 1 ip 00007fd338201e9a sp 00007ffe47389060 error 4 in php-fpm[7fd337fc6000+380000]

I submitted a ticket into nusphere, just waiting for a response here but i suspect something isn't quite right with the debugger module with my Centos, nginx, php-fpm configuration. Not sure what to do to fix it though.

I should mention that this particular dev server works perfectly for all other aspects, except for this debugging.
Guru master

I configured a new staging server a few days ago that matches those specifications and was planning on adding the debugger to it today, so I'll let you know how that goes.

As I anticipated, I received an email back from Support saying I am not entitled to any support because I only have a Personal license. This is fine and I would understand if it was in fact my problem, however I simply reported a bug in their software for them to fix so others dont have to deal with the same issue.

Oh well, I'm SOL again with nusphere.
Guru master

I've had exactly the same response in the past from a well known NuSphere competitor, for a license that was only 1-week expired.

I am probably getting the same error.

Apr 28 15:00:51 stage kernel: php-fpm[29337]: segfault at 60600000001 ip 00007fd51efcd270 sp 00007ffc86605580 error 6 in dbg-php-7.0.so[7fd51efb5000+2c000]

With this new server I can switch individual sites to different PHP versions and PHP 5.4 / 5.6 are both working fine, just 7.0 crashes.

I've reported it.

Although this sucks for both us, it's good for me though because it confirms it isn't my configuration at all causing it and it is a legit 'bug' in the debugger. Really unfortunate though that nusphere wont even talk with me because i didn't pay them enough money to help fix 'their' software problems.

probc2 wrote:
As I anticipated, I received an email back from Support saying I am not entitled to any support because I only have a Personal license. This is fine and I would understand if it was in fact my problem, however I simply reported a bug in their software for them to fix so others dont have to deal with the same issue.

Oh well, I'm SOL again with nusphere.

I had similar experience few year ago, when I've tried to submit the obvious issue with indent guides. It was fixed only in the 17 version.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of other errors and bugs. For example, when I'm debugging a script and moving a cursor on some variable, the popup with it's value appears in quite different place:

Recently I've arrived at a decision to switch to the other IDE after a 4 years of working with PHPed. The main reason - is the lack of many important features.

For example, there is no option to fast switch the listening to the remote debugger. It's very useful for debugging the AJAX queries. On my current IDE I just turn on the listening, make an AJAX request and catch all necessary information on the breakpoints. After the debugging I turn off the listening in IDE to prevent the unnecessary debug sessions. All this things I can make without configuring the URL paths or even page reload in browser.

Another important feature is the inline variable representation during the debug session. In current IDE I can see all variable values without finding them in large list or pointing them using mouse. It may sounds strange, but it really saves my time and make the debug easier.

Besides the debug-related features there are a lot others, which are not present in current PHPed version. For example, there is no feature to specify my own code style and automatically format the code, when I'm working with another's project or pasting it in the editor. It's a fundamental IDE feature, which is still missing in PHPed.

Unfortunately, the PHPed is one of the few IDE without Emmet support. This feature is also essential for a modern IDE and it's very strange that it's still missing in PHPed. The another feature that I miss in PHPed was the file names auto-completion. Sometimes it take a lot of time to find the proper image, find out its size and paste in in the CSS.

The framework support is one of the PHPed's strong points, but where is the support of WordPress? The 35-50% of all sites across the Internet are built using this CMS. When I'm talking about support, I mean auto-completion for add_filter/add_action and a lot other frequently used functions.

Now I'm using the PHPed only when I need to edit, download or upload few files on the remote host.
Guru master

You can click the edge of that popup and drag it to be closer to the variable Wink

Occasionally I've dragged it too far away and then you have to be very quick with the mouse to be able to drag it back again!

Code completion in WordPress works fine for me without any framework support required. Maybe try refreshing Code Explorer or make sure you haven't excluded any directories from the project. A lot of the WP functions are in the global namespace anyway (ugly framework!), so should always be available to code completion.

If you are using the same IDE that I think you are using, the inline variable display is sometimes useful, sometimes a pain and sometimes unusable. Also I found it doesn't work after making a code edit during a debug session and I often make code edits when debugging.

For sure PhpED is missing lots of features that you expect from an IDE these days. Getting back on topic with PHP 7, I will still continue to use PhpED for any reasonably involved debugging, but I can no longer use it for all of my coding.

plugnplay wrote:
You can click the edge of that popup and drag it to be closer to the variable Wink

Occasionally I've dragged it too far away and then you have to be very quick with the mouse to be able to drag it back again!

Code completion in WordPress works fine for me without any framework support required. Maybe try refreshing Code Explorer or make sure you haven't excluded any directories from the project. A lot of the WP functions are in the global namespace anyway (ugly framework!), so should always be available to code completion.

If you are using the same IDE that I think you are using, the inline variable display is sometimes useful, sometimes a pain and sometimes unusable. Also I found it doesn't work after making a code edit during a debug session and I often make code edits when debugging.

For sure PhpED is missing lots of features that you expect from an IDE these days. Getting back on topic with PHP 7, I will still continue to use PhpED for any reasonably involved debugging, but I can no longer use it for all of my coding.

Yes, it is possible to drag that popup window with values, but it's useless in most cases. Actually, I don't need that window. I just want to know the variable value with a minimum of efforts. If I need to search the popup with value on the whole screen, It's confusing.

Talking about the WordPress support I've meant something else. The completion for function or variable names really works. Yes, there is some space for improvements, but it is usable in current implementation. I'm talking about the auto-completion for most used function parameters. For example, when I'm trying to add a new filter using add_filter or add_action functions, I'm expecting that the IDE will propose me a list of built-in event names. In current PHPed version I need to search the event name in the whole project to be sure, that I've typed the event name correctly. The best way to debug is to write the code which doesn't require further debugging.

Sorry for the off-top.

As anticpated, here is the response back i got from nusphere regarding 'their' problem - not mine.

Quote:
Of course, in all fairness this would definitely work this way if you were a beta tester.
In this case you'd conduct testing and submit reports, we'd provide you with all beta versions
and so forth.
But it's not this case. You're working with commercial version and you picked
cheap license that is not covered by technical support.
You said it's a bug in our software. Well, it could be. But nobody knows. You picked new version
of php and installed a bunch of the other software not distributed with your OS. Good chances you face a
problem with php too, it's known to be fairly unstable, still the subminor version is too small.
Why do you want our engineers to investigate your case for free? Why don't you switch to php-5.6 and keep working
with something that's known to work fine? Alternatively, why don't you purchase upgrade to PRO and
finally resolve problem with php+debugger and, well, with file sync too? or it works for you now?
If so, you can wait for somebody else who has PRO and who will submit the same problem. Meanwhile,
you're the only one.

Best regards,
Jay
PHP version 7