NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PHP 5.3

Is it possible to encode files for running with php 5.3?

If not, when will nucoder support php 5.3?
encoding for PHP 5.3 - estimated availability

+1

It would be great to know even a rough idea
Site Admin

in the beginning of 2010

thanks dmitri - good to know.

Any more news yet?

Any updates on this?

yes it will interest me too cause they upgraded the server to 10.04 ubuntu and it has 5.3 php so i cant encode files. Do you know a workaround?

micdhack wrote:
yes it will interest me too cause they upgraded the server to 10.04 ubuntu and it has 5.3 php so i cant encode files. Do you know a workaround?

PHP 5.3.0 was released on 6/30/2009. Now almost a year later, there is still no official word on NuCoder and PHP Express support. I learned a valuable lesson here about the level of support to expect. Unfortunately, the pro-Zend, NuSphere nay-sayers won this round.

5.3.0 2009-06-30 Namespace support; Late static bindings, Jump label (limited goto), Native closures, Native PHP archives (phar), garbage collection for circular references, improved Windows support, sqlite3, mysqlnd as a replacement for libmysql as underlying library for the extensions that work with MySQL, fileinfo as a replacement for mime_magic for better MIME support, the Internationalization extension, and deprecation of ereg extension.
5.3.1 2009-11-19 Over 100 bug fixes, some of which were security fixes as well.
5.3.2 2010-03-04 Includes a large number of bug fixes.

The above is from wikipedia. To say that at 30.6.2009 the php 5.3 release was ready for usage in large scale production projects it is too risky since as you can see there were security fixes in the next versions.

About nucoder i agree that it is not good that they delayed the php 5.3 support for so long BUT i have to say also that when i asked them a question they did reply within 24 hours to my email and they valued what i had to say. So they do listen and value their customers.

micdhack wrote:
To say that at 30.6.2009 the php 5.3 release was ready for usage in large scale production projects it is too risky since as you can see there were security fixes in the next versions.

... and there will be more bug fixes. This is the expected PHP life-cycle. However, there needs to be an official word from NuSphere. NuSphere could simply say we will not support 5.3 until it is stable and people would know. I too have received responses from support within 24 hours, but a response alone does not constitute real support. Namespace support in PHP 5.3 was reason enough for us to want to upgrade. In the interim, we started transitioning from PHP to a client written in C++ and all critical business logic implemented at the server/database level. A HUGE amount of work, and not necessarily more secure, but way faster with a superior user experience, and the long-term ROI will hopefully be higher and our dependencies fewer.

Well, it's nearly "middle of 2010", nearly 1 year after the first release of PHP 5.3... Imho I think development on the 5.3 should have been started already when 5.3 was still in testing, even at PHP... You can't gain an advantage as a company by lagging behind.

If this same development cycle can be an example of how support will be for PHP 6, I think people looking for a good solution should be looking at Zend Guard...

dmitri wrote:
in the beginning of 2010

I think Dmitri was talking in terms of decades rather than years Wink
PHP 5.3