NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PHP 5.3 and new syntax

PHP 5.3 is nearly here, stable release is planned in "few days", between mid September and mid October. I would like to ask when will be PhpEd familiar with new extended syntax - namespaces, closures, NOWDOC, ternary short cut "?:" and new constant syntax.

Namespaces affect code-insight in many ways:

Code:

namespace Nette::Forms;
use Nette::Component;

/**
 * @return ::Component   // means ::Component, not Nette::Forms::Component or Nette::Component
 */
function test(Component $c) // means Nette::Component
{
}
View user's profileFind all posts by dgxSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

as far as I know there are still debates in php.internals (and not only) about namespaces. Looks like the first beta of 5.3 won't come with a concept that will be adopted as a final one. In this case, it's too early to speak about supporting 5.3 namespaces in PhpED. As of the other two features, they are almost frozen and we may start talking about their support in PhpED.
Please don't hesitate to share your ideas on how would the IDE support the features. It's all clear about new php grammars for the inline validator and correct highlighting for the new constructs. Do you expect anything beyound this?

Now that PHP 5.3 is taking shape and the namespaces feature has been set in stone, I think it's time to revisit this topic. I'd like to experiment with the new features because we really need namespaces, but PhpEd will obviously say it's a syntax error.

Is there any way to update the syntax checking, even if it's a quick and dirty way?
Site Admin

Quote:
the namespaces feature has been set in stone

Everything related to the namespaces in php, including syntax, prefixes, keywords, rules, and so forth, can be changed MULTIPLE times before the release. And even after.

Next portion of debates will obviously start after the first beta or next alpha of php-5.3.
Will see then.

The first beta is out now,
it will be very coll when the IDE support. perhaps as option.
MyNext project depending much of the namespace future

nice to hear some news about it
Site Admin

Do you know any OS vendor or hosting provider who is going to support php 5.3 at least by the end of this year? I'd be highly surpsied.
As of its current state, grammar is not frozen and may change many times before the final release,... and even after that. Unfortunately, the sooner we start supporting 5.3, the more work for us to maintain all the changes in the grammar. It's huge work, btw.

Let's return to this question when they get 5.3RC1 released. It will be clearer what to do then.

I don't know if a hoster support it early, but I know my next application need namespace and I must start with it and I want use your IDE Smile

but lets wait for RC1 this is no problem, Iam only agitated Very Happy
Site Admin

well, no hosters are expected to provide 5.3 anytime soon, no OS vendors are expected to include this package anytime soon either. Where are you going to run your applications written with namespaces and therefore not compatible with existing php versions? Are you going to compile php from sources and install it yourself? I'd understand this only as an enthusiastic effort for non-online services.
You'd understand that there will be quite a lot of vulnerabilities discovered in 5.3.0. All dramatic changes like namespace implementation or OOP re-implementation (like it was with version 5.0), almost always result in problems with safety.
Just my 2 cents n attempt to warn you.

If you're going to play with namespace-toy, threre is nothing wrong, but I'd not put too much efforts in namespace-based development because everything, including the way it works, may change even after 5.3.0 release.

Hello, the argument that web hosts aren't going to support PHP 5.3 is only half of the question in my opinion.

#1, there are folks such as myself, and many others that run their own dedicated servers or vps servers and can install php 5.3 at any time. Of course there will be vulnerabilities, but that shouldn't be the concern of NuSphere should it? It's the concern of the person running the server to update their software as fast and as early as possible when using bleeding edge tech.

#2, Many folks will be developing php software that is only going to be run locally, where the security of php is not a concern at all. These projects may take months, or even a year or longer to be completed. After completion, they would be uploaded to a remote server. The chief argument against implementing PHP 5.3 syntax in NuSphere seemed to be remote web host support, or lack thereof, but that completely shuts out folks who are doing developmental work on php software.

I personally have a project that I expect will not be publicly available until mid 2010, if not late 2010, and I'd love to have an IDE that supports the new PHP syntax now. I am using another IDE at the moment, and am looking for to purchase a license for a different IDE, one that meets more of my needs than my current IDE. One of the biggest needs I see going forward is support for PHP 5.3 style syntax, and that will be a major factor in my decision of which IDE I want to put money into.

I will be watching and waiting to see when NuSphere adds PHP 5.3 support very eagerly!

In my opinion is PHP 5.3 support the most wanted thing. My PHPEd subscription has expired this november and there si no reason to buy new PHPEd.
View user's profileFind all posts by dgxSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

There is always a reason to buy new PhpED Smile
But in other hand there is no reason to implement new syntax until final and stable version is released. Please understand ppls that debates about new php are published and please look at it a quite deeper.

If You start writing Your application with namespaces and with new syntax etc. etc. and something will be changed - Your time and work are wasted. The same implementing this in PhpED now is only waste of time for NuSphere's developers. There are a lot of other things to do first (such as JS support).

I believe and I am sure that new syntax will be implemented, but after final and stable release of PHP. Maby not day or week after that, but soon after that (if not, many PhpED's customers will use other IDE).

intro wrote:
There is always a reason to buy new PhpED Smile
But in other hand there is no reason to implement new syntax until final and stable version is released. Please understand ppls that debates about new php are published and please look at it a quite deeper.

If You start writing Your application with namespaces and with new syntax etc. etc. and something will be changed - Your time and work are wasted. The same implementing this in PhpED now is only waste of time for NuSphere's developers. There are a lot of other things to do first (such as JS support).

I believe and I am sure that new syntax will be implemented, but after final and stable release of PHP. Maby not day or week after that, but soon after that (if not, many PhpED's customers will use other IDE).

Support for PHP 5.3 is highly needed, it is in heavy use right now. Release candidate 3 is out and lot's of project are using 5.3 already. As namespaces is huge step forward and this feature is quite stable,
NuSphere should really think hard to implement it as one of first on the market, and be on TOP.
For me, not supporting 5.3 is reason to change IDE.
PHP 5.3 and new syntax