NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
performance of FTP client

The ftp client built into PHPEd is very slow when it comes to transfering (up/down) entire projects (mainly because it only transfers one file at a time).
Is there anyway to configure the client so that more than 1 file at a time is transfered?
Site Admin

This problem has no relation to PhpED.
Looks like you have a limit in network throughtput that is established in one of the routers in between your machine and the server. It limits the bandwidth per connection. In this case you can get a better throughtput by opening multiple connections. To me it's better to contact network administrator and/or change ISP options.
Anyway, FTP client built into PhpED has no limits and for example may work at 10MBit/sec and more, depending on your network.

PhpED is a PHP Editor and they should concentrate on that. The FTP client and all other things are nice additions. The client is handy for updates but it wasn't designed for the larger work. I don't think that was the reasoning behind adding it either.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

I checked SmartFtp 3.01024.32 vs PhpED 5.6.5628.

Transfer volume 77.3MB, 7635 files in 1311 folders, the smallest 11bytes, the biggest 6MB.

-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Case#1, both against the same local OpenSSH server v4.3_p2 running under CentOs5.1/Linux /VmWare6.
You see, server is running locally so the network bandwidth is not a limiting factor.

Results:
Smart FTP 5minutes 44 seconds
PhpED 4minues 49seconds
therefore PhpED is 20% faster.

SmartFTP transfer performance did not exceed 400-500kB/sec while in PhpED it easily reached 2-3MB/sec for relatively big files.
Addionaly I'd mention that when SmartFTP transferred the files CPU utilization was about 15-20% while with PhpED it did not exceed 4-5%.

-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Case#2, both against the same local vsftpd server v2.0.5-10 running under CentOs5.1/Linux /VmWare6.

Results:
Smart FTP 2 minutes 29 seconds
PhpED 1 minues 19 seconds
therefore PhpED is almost two times faster.
when SmartFTP transferred the files CPU utilization was about 75-85% while with PhpED it did not exceed 10-15%.

Last edited by dmitri on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hi,

I use phpED for my daily work now for more than 2 years (since version 4.6) and
I have never had any problems with FTP/SFTP performance so far, even on bigger
projects. Needless to say that during this time phpED was used on several different
servers and configurations...

So even though I have another "specialized" FTP client installed on my PC (that I use
for scheduled FTP transfers) I do not use it for my projects, because I am happy with
the built-in client of phpED.

Just my two cents.
Sares

The ftp sync runs pretty well, but I am on a satellite system (two-way) as we live in the bush. The problem is that the propagation delays make the process mind numbing, even if very few files change the time it takes to query the remote server can make it take forever.

I am wondering rather than using the remote file details to decide if a file has been changed could you add a 'last_sync' to the workspace, then any file that has a modified date after the 'last_sync' is sent to the remote server. This would mean that the ftp process only involves changed files. It would be a wonderful help!

Thanks,
Larry
performance of FTP client