NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Organization of workspace and projects for shared code

Having been given this advice...

Quote:
If you develop or maintain mulitple (sic) websites with something in common (functionality or customer etc.) you may choose to create separate projects for each website but add all of these projects to the same workspace.

Let's say I have setup a PHPed Project for some code I use in nearly all my web applications (e.g. my customized subclass of the Smarty template system). It seems to me that I have to do nearly all my work in one big PHPed Workspace which contains a PHPed Project for each web application's unique files and additional PHPed Projects, one for each of the common libraries I use.

I think there would be advantages to having smaller, more specific, Workspaces. Can I use File -> Save As to save a copy of this big Workspace and then remove Projects from that copy so that I just have one web application's PHPed Project and all of the PHPed Projects for the common libraries I use?

Am I causing any problems by having these common Projects appear in multiple workspaces?

Are those common Projects in the different Workspaces now separate things? In other words do they share their properties or do they have their own properties?

What I'm proposing is to setup a Workspace with all the common libraries and then when I want to begin work on a new web application I'd make a copy of that Workspace (Save As) and add a new PHPed Project to it for that web application's unique files. Anything wrong with this scheme?

Thanks.
View user's profileFind all posts by SB3DSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
I think there would be advantages to having smaller, more specific, Workspaces. Can I use File -> Save As to save a copy of this big Workspace and then remove Projects from that copy so that I just have one web application's PHPed Project and all of the PHPed Projects for the common libraries I use?

Right, you can do it. File->Save Workspace As will save workspace under new name.

Quote:
Am I causing any problems by having these common Projects appear in multiple workspaces?

No.

Quote:
Are those common Projects in the different Workspaces now separate things? In other words do they share their properties or do they have their own properties?

Projects properties are stored independently and once say Workspace A contains Project1 and Workspace B contains the same Project1, all the Project1 properties will be the same. FYI they are stored in Project1.ppj file.

Quote:
What I'm proposing is to setup a Workspace with all the common libraries and then when I want to begin work on a new web application I'd make a copy of that Workspace (Save As) and add a new PHPed Project to it for that web application's unique files. Anything wrong with this scheme?

I think it's okay.
There is no requirement to have particular projects and used libraries in the same workspace. You may group together anything you need or do not group anything in the workspace at all. It's all for your convenience. The only thing you'd care of is list of directories to be watched by Code Insight. Say you work with Project1 which heavily uses Lib1 and Lib2. You may want to see objects declared in Lib1 or Lib2 when you code files in the project (when it's active). To get it, you have to add path to Lib1 and path to Lib2 into Code Insight Includes project property for Project1.