NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Opening and saving files - takes ages!

Hi!

I've just downloaded phpEd 3.3 trial and I must say that, although I am rather pleased at the efficiency, I almost go to sleep every time I try to open/save a file. Apparently, you've designed your own file opening/saving dialogues which require a lot of resources and my Celeron 1100 with 256Mb of RAM just doesn't cut it. Why do you need to design a special file opening/saving window? It takes about 15 seconds just to open up the file open/save dialogue!!!

Best regards,
Stanislav
Site Admin

It happens if you have troubles with your network only. Please check if you have set up anything wrong. For example if some of networked disks are actually disconnected or so.
15sec looks like timeed out function call when PHPED tries to get disk labels.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Disconnected network disks

Hi again, thanks for the reply!

Yes, I indeed have disconnected network disks that fail to connect on startup. However, none of the IDEs or other programs I use have this sort of difficulty. Standard open and save file dialogues take less than a second to accomplish the same, and they also read the network disk labels at that.
I thought the problem was fancy graphics in the directory structure part of dialogue. Now that you say so, I'll try to disconnect some of the drives that haven't been working.

By the way, what about at least caching the directory structure (network labels, at least)? I can understand when I have to wait only 15 seconds once per coding session, but I have to wait as long *each* time I open or save a file.

Best regards,
Stanislav
Site Admin

yep, caching would help.
But would better to check disk status before asking for its label.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Opening and saving files - takes ages!