NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Nusphere ide stops working after having a timeout

After timeout while remote debugging ( which is the case in my environment after max 1min) I've got many times a very strange behavior of NuSphere Phped:

Phped is no more working right AND cannot be closed! All settings are lost. The only possibility is to restart the remote server Sad Sad Sad

Any other solution for this issue?

Thanks.
Best,
Otto
Guru master

Which web browser are you using and what is the message that you see when you get the timeout?

I'm using Chrome, Firefox and Safari but debugging can only be done with Firefox as far as I know. Since a few years Google Chrome doesn't allow to add phped toolbar in my environment.
Earlier there was no message. Now after installing Zend debugging toolbar, there's a message with 'mysql server has gone' and stack output where I'am debugging. This all depends on the server's timeout.
Very strange that it doesn't matter stopping debugging with phped or not - after timeout phped cannot be closed, clicking at the closer, ALT F4 or something else doesn't change anything. Debugging locally makes it possible in every case to restart apache, mysql (xampp). After these steps phped closes the connection to the server and gets freed from that moment. After restarting apache this way phped can be closed normal or also debugging is further possible.
More difficult is a timeout with remote servers but I succeeded dozens of times to restart phped nevertheless this way.
Another thing: clicks during the start phase of debugging (since no program output has been done) also hangs phped and servers has to be restarted or phped has to be closed via Windows hard break or PC reset.
The whole behavior has been stable during all versions of phped - until now no upgrade has solved this issue.
Thank you for your assistance.
Guru master

I was wondering if the problem with the timeout issue that newer versions of Firefox have, but doesn't sound like it.

Don't let the PhpED toolbar interfere with which browser you use; it's by no means essential and in the 7+ years that I've been using PhpED with all browsers (Windows / Mac / Tablet / Mobile), have only rarely used the toolbar when there was one. You can start debug sessions in a variety of other ways depending on what you want to achieve, even on non-Windows devices.

I have seen instances where a hang-up situation in Apache can hang PhpED. Stopping Apache then releases PhpED. I'm not sure that I would consider PhpED at fault in the situations when it happened to me and I vaguely remember I had the wrong version debugger installed; it is a few years since I last had issues with it.

More information is required about your environment (versions, other PHP modules, etc) and Dmitri might not be happy with that level of detail in a forum post, plus NuSphere support may be familiar with this problem; have you tried contacting support?

Thank you for the tip, I'll try it, sure. I understand that my situation might be rather seldom? If so, no problem, then I'll know what I normally have to do.
I believe nevertheless that it would be easier for many users and many processes to have an option like the toolbar which can be used for confortable debugging in different browsers - it shouldn't be too difficult to develop it or am I wrong?
Regarding apache, mysql, and different versions of phped:
I'm using them all since many years and nearly with any updates of mysql, php, etc. until the latest versions and the behavior remained the same, so I guess that's really an issue with remote debugging and phped when I'm not the only affected developer. I'm also using different other php debuggers and as far as I've used them I've found never such a timeout problem.
Guru master

The debugger module works using both the URL query string and cookies. The query string will cause the debugger module to set the cookie, so if you start a debug session by putting something like ?DBGSESSID=1 on the end of the URL, subsequent pages will then see the cookie even though those pages might not have the query string.

There are parameters you can use with DBGSESSID to do different things, such as use the profiler or set a client IP address if you are debugging over the internet. When you start a debug session from within PhpED, those parameters are set for you.

The debugger toolbar probably changes the cookie and/or the query string at various times, but it might also provide options to manipulate the various formats of DBGSESSID to do things like include your client IP address or not enable a debugger session. I'm not too sure exactly what they do. Some toolbars can also be set to do those things such as on the next POST, to assist with debugging specific steps.

I agree the toolbar can be convenient and it would be nice to see it in all browsers, but when I'm debugging a remote public site I normally create a debugger URL in my notes and click on that to start a session. I might have a few URL's for debugging different pages, but once any page is started with the debugger, normally the debug session will remain active due to the cookie.

When I am debugging locally (which for me is always on a remote server that is on my local network), I don't do the above; I just tend to click the PhpED buttons for either running (no debug) or starting a debug session. My experience is that the browser has zero impact on the ability to debug. I tend to use external browsers rather than the PhpED integrated browsers, but that is personal preference.

With care you can also use DebugBreak() in your code to activate debug sessions at desired times. In a public site I might use something like:

Code:
if ($haveCondition && 0 === strpos($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], 'x.x.x.x')) {
    DebugBreak('1@x.x.x.x');
}

DebugBreak accepts the same parameters as DBGSESSID but does not set the cookie, so the debugger will only activate if it hits that statement. You can of course use DebugBreak together with the cookie and normal breakpoints.

Normally when there is a general issue with something (which is not very often Wink) you will see a lot more posts on this forum. NuSphere don't like using this forum for support, so people are encouraged to contact NuSphere Support directly. It is possible others are having the same problem as you; if you also go to NuSphere Support you might get a quicker resolution.

http://www.nusphere.com/contact_us/

Are you sure you are using the appropriate (non-)thread-safe debugger module for your Apache and OS? Are your Apache logs showing anything interesting such as faults?

I've been a regular follower of the NuSphere forum for a few years now and I don't remember seeing any indication of general issues with NuSphere debugger timeouts. Even when I had issues with my using the wrong debugger version for a specific version of PhpED (entirely my fault) that didn't give me timeouts, just hangs. I think that was with PhpED 6 and PhpED now checks the debugger version more closely.

Thank you for the long and detailed explanation. I'll check my libraries again that there're the right versions but as far I know should they be wrong debugging wouldn't be possible at all. But better checking twice Wink
Thanks again.
Otto
Guru master

I think it is possible to load the wrong (non-)thread-safe and it will still work but have issues.
Site Admin

sounds like an issue with firewall and/or antivirus software.

maybe, I've now tried many times without firewall and without antivirus software and I got no break during these checks but I'm still unsure because of my earlier experience getting so many phped crashes and hangs. Ok, will come to you back to you with more checks around firewalls and antivirus issues. But my question is, why can it be that the debugger can't close after such a break? Which event queue can cause such an behavior?

Starting with build 15012 and debugger 7.5.3 I get more and more crashes when going into the debugger. I definitely see these crashes after a break in debugging session. I can run multiple debug sessions then wait 30-60 minutes and then hit the same DebugBreak() causing PhpED to hang completely. Nothing else than upgrade of the IDE and debugger to version 7.5.3 has been done. IDE build 15010 and version 7.5.2 of the debugger wasn't perfect either, but now it is getting even worse.

Windows 7 SP1, 64-bit (32-bit IDE). PHP 5.3.16. Apache 2.4.3

Hi,
tried it again without firewall and without without antivirus software but the issue has not gone, phped hangs. No chance to do any action for debugging or leaving the editor. Now I've tried settings wizard again and it shows my strange results. Tried to upload screens here but without success, upload doesn't works in my environment Sad.