NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Could you benefit from Running PhpED on Linux with Wine?
I need this Very Much
72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
I need this
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Somewhat
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe, but unlikely
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Not at all
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

New Forum Proposal (Running PhpED with Wine)

Wasn't sure where to post this....

Please consider the idea of creating a new Forum specifically for "Running PhpED with Wine".

Forum goal: Consolidate information concerning this configuration into one area to ease information (solution) discovery.

Scope of Information: PhpED+DbgListener ONLY (Perhaps NuCoder too?)
Out of Scope: Products with native Linux alternatives or designed to provide a Windows focused solution: PhpDock, PhpExpress, Tech Platform, UltraSQL
(There are few reasons and little sense to run these under Wine when equivalents are available to run natively under Linux)

=====
Why (Whats my reason?)
=====
Personal motivation (I like full disclosure): I would like to encourage seamless Wine support for current and future releases of PhpED+DbgListener.

====
What's in it (Wine support) for NuSphere?
====
An instant solution for MAC OS X
Marketing power associated with Cadega, CrossOver Linux, CrossOver MAC, Wine-HQ
Eliminate (lagging) support for Linux Port and focus those resources on Wine support of current versions
First and only full scale IDE that is crossplatform (with Wine on Mac & Linux)
New Market = increased market share
View user's profileFind all posts by randySend private messageVisit poster's website

I'm gonna throw in my recent experiences with running PHPEd under WINE on a mac:VERY PROMISING. To me this solution has some benefits over virtualization:

-No windows license
    -You don't have to allocate a ton of resources just to run one app
    -Free (if you do some legwork)!!!

I attached a picture to entice all of you Mac users who are so frustrated trying to find an equivalent Mac native php debugger (there is none!). The more people that get involved the better the potential outcome.

I have a write-up that details how to get PHPEd running under WINE on a Mac if any are interested. I will hold off posting until the next (imminent) release of the debugger is released that includes some things to help it run under WINE better.
Site Admin

5216 looks a bit better (I hope). We fixed some (1-2) odd colors and btw included dbglistener 3.2.9

Thats wonderful Dmitri thanks for everything.

Randy
View user's profileFind all posts by randySend private messageVisit poster's website

All or nothing.. I don't care for a wine compatible version, but only for a native linux one.

Fair enough. That's why this is here.

It seems to me that this is not such a black and white issue though. Consider this....
If a feasible business market presented itself maybe the resources necessary to keep the Linux version current would emerge. This must not be the case...since the Linux version is not keeping up.
What I glean primarily from the forums are requests such as "at work I use (linux/windows) but at home I use the opposite...I need both versions." This was recently followed by "can I use the same license for the Linux version that I use for the Windows version without paying for the 'second' copy?" In other words, a request to take one of the most flexible commercial licenses on the planet and allow the free use of some more of it. This idea of a 'second copy' is why NuShpere recognizes the Windows version and the Linux version as distinct (paid for separately) products.

So there currently are only a few of us (you included it would seem) willing to pay for a fully up to date Linux version.

As a business man I understand this conundrum very well. I also understand a person who wants to pay for one license (say Windows) and legally use it on both platforms as the license agreement allows.

I hope this explains why I would be happy to 'settle', if you will, for a Wine compatibility trade off. It seems to be the only way to get current under Linux given today's market. It's working fairly well under Wine too.

Thanks for sticking to your guns and speaking your piece. If you win, all Linux users will win.
New Forum Proposal (Running PhpED with Wine)