NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
New Computer, way to keep all settings?

I am receiving a new laptop from my work (the old one will get formatted and given to someone in accounting). I will be installing PhpED on it, but want to know if there is a way to export/import all my settings from the copy I am currently using. I have custom templates, hotkeys, syntax highlighting, keywords, etc, and setting it all up again would be tedious (albeit doable). Just wondering if theres a quick and dirty way to get all my old settings onto my new computer. Thanks.
Guru master

For both XP and Vista you need to export the PhpEd registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NuSphere\PhpED5.2]. There is an entry under LOCAL_MACHINE as well, but I don't think that is vital, it only seems to contain things that are auto-set on install and won't change often.
If you're on XP, you also have to copy the config/ directory from your installation directory. On Vista I *think* that directory can be found in your Documents & Settings.
The registry piece contains most of the editor settings. The config/ directory contains your templates, colors etc...
If you have custom templates, don't forget the templates/ folder.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

thanks for that. i'll give it a go when my computer comes in.
Site Admin

Quote:
On Vista I *think* that directory can be found in your Documents & Settings

PhpED stores its configuration files in the nusphere\phped\config subdirectory of the user profile directory. Vista distinguishes roaming vs non-roaming profile and we're using former one.
All comments regarding registry are correct. Thanks Blizz.

Quote:
(the old one will get formatted and given to someone in accounting)

hahahahahaha. Thanks for that. Very Happy

Are there any plans in the works to make it so we don't have to mess with the registry in order to move settings to another computer?

Thanks in advance.
Guru master

If you don't want to open the registry editor you can always use the following command:
Code:
regedit /e phped.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NuSphere\PhpED5.2

That will export the relevant section to a file called phped.reg
Importing can be done by double clicking the file or just "regedit <filename>"
Not what you asked but at least you don't have to open the editor that way Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Thanks for that Blizz. Although I've had this computer for a few months now, I went ahead and did that just so I have a backup copy of the settings.

is this including all y ou code templates and stuff you change in settings?

If not, we really can use some wizard to let us migrate whole account.
Guru master

If you include the mentioned config/ directory from disk it is.
Don't forget that the registry key is now [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NuSphere\PhpED5.6] instead of 5.2 Smile

I know that it's just the fact a simple tool within PhpEd dealing with all would be elegant.

Some people use to work on 2-3 places coding php and migration of all environment is nice.
Guru master

You wouldn't want to share everything since the IDE layout depends on your computer configuration. Also, my work settings are different than my home settings. Regarding templates/highlighting and so on it's pretty easy to just copy over the 2 relevant files, it's not like you change all those every day Smile

Not every day, but one can spend 1 hour searching, finding this thread, reading, posting questions etc Smile

What files to copy exactly to get everything moved?
New Computer, way to keep all settings?