NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
New at phpED - Difficulty changing settings

Hi all.

I have recently migrated from Edit+ to phpED, and while i do enjoy the new features phpED provides there are some setup that i would really appreciate.
I have been unable to find an answer to my questions, so hopefully one of you can help me out.

1) In the editor there is a yellow vertical line right down the page. How can i remove this (and what purpose does it server) ?
2) I'm quite annoyed that i can select any area of a line and start typing there. That only means more use of the mouse. Is it possible to remove this feature so that when i click somewhere in my code, it will co stratight to the end of that line. (Just like a textarea field)
3) Comming from edit+, i enjoy that it will split a long line so that i do not need horizontal scrolling. Is it possible to make phpED split the line ?

The above mentioned is - in my opinion - the most annoying things about phpED, but they can probably be removed, i just have to figure out how.
Besides from that, it looks to be an awesome editor.

Thank you for the help

Number 1 and 3 are really easy and you will get to know the editor and learn all the options available to you in time.

1) You say a yellow line but since most of the colors can be customized, mine is probably not yellow. If we are talking about the same line located between character 80 and 81, it is a line to display the proper print size. This mean if you print the is where it would wordwrap by default (of course you can change print size and setting but it is a guide). I can be removed in the tools->settings menu, then in editor theme, editor tab and the option is called right margin. you can uncheck the checkbox to remove it or change it to a color closer to your background so it is not as noticeable.

2) If I understand correctly, you would want your cursor to always got to the end of the line when you click on a line? I'm not sure how that would be useful, when I click somewhere I want to edit the. but if this is your way to doing thing, who am I to tell you it's wrong. Unfortunately I never saw that option anywhere in PHPEd but you can look at the options in settings, maybe it's there I just never wanted it so I never looked for it.

3) If you are looking for word wrap there is a lot of ways to get it. Ctrl-W is mapped by default to wrod wrap, you can also go in view->word wrap or you can click on the third icon next to the line numbers, the word wrap icon.

Hope this helps
Re: New at phpED - Difficulty changing settings

papa62 wrote:
1) In the editor there is a yellow vertical line right down the page. How can i remove this (and what purpose does it server) ?

Probably you are talking about "change bars" in gutter next to the line numbers. Change bars turns yellow for lines changed but not yet saved to the file since file being open and turns green for saved ones.
If I'm right, you can switch it off in Settings dialog > Editor theme > Editor tab > "Change bars" checkbox.

papa62 wrote:
2) I'm quite annoyed that i can select any area of a line and start typing there. That only means more use of the mouse. Is it possible to remove this feature so that when i click somewhere in my code, it will co stratight to the end of that line. (Just like a textarea field)

Try to uncheck Settings dialog > Editor settings > "Cursor beyond EOL" checkbox and/or "Select beyound EOL" checkbox.

papa62 wrote:
3) Comming from edit+, i enjoy that it will split a long line so that i do not need horizontal scrolling. Is it possible to make phpED split the line ?

There is View > Word Wrap menu item to toggle word wrapping.
Additionally there is Settings dialog > Editor settings > "Wrap to indent" checkbox to control how word wrapping will be done.
Great

Thank you for the info. That helped alot.

Now i believe i have it set up just like i want it. Appreciate the help.

Happy new year
New at phpED - Difficulty changing settings