NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] \n in search / replace

Some of my files have a problem where every line has a second newline after it - effectively doubling the number of lines in my code. I read in another post that this can be caused by my FTP program, and that I can set CuteFTP to binary to prevent this from happening again. Ok. I have done that, but now I'm still stuck with a huge file with an extra blank line after every line.

I tried a search and replace for \n\n with the Regular Expression checkbox checked, but it says it couldn't find \n\n. I also tried \r\r, \r\n, and \n\r, but it couldn't find those either. In fact, if I just do a search and replace for \n, it doesn't even find that - and yes, the regular expression checkbox is selected.

Can anyone tell me how I can remove those extra empty lines from my file? Thanks!

Also, when I open the file in TextPad, it does not have the extra newlines. It only appears in PhpEd for some reason.
Site Admin

Quote:
I tried a search and replace for \n\n with the Regular Expression checkbox checked

As of phped version 5.2 it should work. All you need is Regular Expression and Multiline checkboxes checked.

Yes. I upgraded to 5.2 and was able to get it to work.

With multiline checked off, I had to put \n\n in the search box, and in the replace box I had to press enter once. Putting \n in the replace box would literally insert the text "\n".

Happy to have this fixed. Thanks.
[resolved] \n in search / replace