NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] MySQL performance under Vista

Hi,

Does anyone else have performance issues with PHPEd on Vista?

I've tried disabling Vista's Aero and running without a firewall (ZoneAlarm Security Suite) but executing any code via PHPEd still seems to take about 5x as long as it did on XP. Coding in PHPEd seems fine - it's just running stuff, either to the internal browsers or an external one. It seems as if it's the actual output rendering that takes a lot of time.

Vista's slower anyway and - in my opinion - pretty terrible (I'm going AppleMac next time without a doubt), but PHPEd seems to be unduly affected.

Judging by the lack of complaints from others this may just be something specific to my machine but I have no idea what.

I have two machines side-by-side:

1) XP-Pro, Dual Core, 4gb RAM
1) Vista, Dual Core, 4gb RAM

Before upgrading my Vista machine from 1gb to 4gb, it was sooooo slow. After the upgrade, it pastes XP in almost every perfomance test, including PhpEd.

Idling, it was using almost a gig of RAM and paging everything else. It's a memory hog, so you gotta feed it.

I do have 2GB RAM on the machine.

According to the profiler, I think the problem's in the MySQL routines, specifically the connect which took 3.4ms under XP and takes over 3 seconds on Vista (this is running MySQL locally on the Windows box). That's a huge difference.

I'll have a look and see what I can find out about MySQL on Vista.

Hmm...The script I'm currently working on is recursive, so it pounds MySQL requests over and over. My tables are relatively small (<100 records), and as you experience under XP, the results are almost instantaneous for me under both Vista and XP -- I don't notice any performance degradation. I'll think about what I might be doing differently, but off the top of my head:

- I've disabled UAC in Vista (can't imagine that would matter, but....)
- For local testing, my config is Apache 2.x, PHP 5.2.x, MySQL 5

I'll run it through the profiler when I get a sec....
Site Admin

Quote:
I think the problem's in the MySQL routines, specifically the connect which took 3.4ms under XP and takes over 3 seconds on Vista

Please consider posting thins info on mysql and php-general forums.
I'm not sure if we have anything to do with performance of mysql+php under Vista.

Personally, I'd suggest to check IP->name and name->IP resolution. For tests with localhost it's crusial to have hosts file with 127.0.0.1 localhost in (see C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

dmitri wrote:
Quote:
I think the problem's in the MySQL routines, specifically the connect which took 3.4ms under XP and takes over 3 seconds on Vista

Please consider posting thins info on mysql and php-general forums.
I'm not sure if we have anything to do with performance of mysql+php under Vista.

Personally, I'd suggest to check IP->name and name->IP resolution. For tests with localhost it's crusial to have hosts file with 127.0.0.1 localhost in (see C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Thanks. I already have a hosts file with a localhost entry in it.

I'm baffled by this and will do as you suggest and try to get an answer from the MySQL/PHP forums. It seems that all database activity to localhost is slow on my machine, particularly the connect.

Just thought I'd update this with my research to date.

There seems to be a problem on Vista whereby people running ZoneAlarm find they have extremely slow access to localhost. Turning ZoneAlarm off does no good - it has to be completely uninstalled.

I haven't tried this yet but if I don't find another solution then I will (and I'll report back here). It's annoying because I quite like ZoneAlarm, although as a developer my ability to write software without undue slow responses is more important of course.
Site Admin

It's a known problem of many other applications. They are still working and eating CPU even if disabled, turned off or their service is stopped. The performance problem is caused by their kernel-mode drivers and because of this you have to uninstall to get an effect.
Peronally, I don't like ZA. In my taste outpost and old kerio are better.