NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
MySQL Error

Hi I have created the following page (test.php)

<?
$user="user1";
$password="password";
$database="database";
mysql_connect(localhost,$user,$password);
@mysql_select_db($database) or die( "Unable to select database");
$query="CREATE TABLE contacts (id int(6) NOT NULL auto_increment,first varchar(15) NOT NULL,last varchar(15) NOT NULL,phone varchar(20) NOT NULL,mobile varchar(20) NOT NULL,fax varchar(20) NOT NULL,email varchar(30) NOT NULL,web varchar(30) NOT NULL,PRIMARY KEY (id),UNIQUE id (id),KEY id_2 (id))";
mysql_query($query);
mysql_close();
?>

When I browse to localhost/test.php the file executes as expected and creates the tables in mysql.

However when I try to run (preview) the file within PhpED I get presented with the follwoing error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test.php on line 6
Unable to select database

I have replaced both libmySQL.dll files that I found within the install directory with the orginal in the mysql directory but this does'nt have seemed to have worked.

It looks like a great product except for this annoying problem.

Any idea's how I could correct it greatly appreciated.

I've got that error before, I don't think it's anything to do with PHPed.

It has to do with MySQL 4.0 and 4.1 - between these, the way a client (PHP in this case) connects to the server changed, so in PHP you use mysqli (MySQL Improved) rather than mysql functions (check php.net for more info).

Are the 2 executions trying to connect to *exactly* the same MySQL server (ie. not just servers on the same machine)?
Site Admin

Effectively it means that when you "browse to this file" outside the IDE, you run it with one php version, while inside IDE you do it with another.

If you use php5, you may want to install php5 for phped. Look for this package on our web (http://shop.nusphere.com)
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
MySQL Error