NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Hi dmitri,

I think that may be the reason.

Could you tell me whether you have included the fix for the line selecting issue in the latest version, because, as I said above, this is my biggest bug bear with the version I have currently? I will certainly upgrade as soon as this has been fixed.

Debbie
View user's profileFind all posts by Debbie-LeighSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
Could you tell me whether you have included the fix for the line selecting issue in the latest version

Do you mean the 'issue' below?
Quote:
- if a line wraps to the following line in the editor window, selecting it only selects part of it (i.e. one physical line at a time). It would be better to have the whole logical line selected rather than just a physical line.

I'm not sure if there was a time when PhpED worked this way. Regardless word-wrap mode is turn on or off, double-click on the line will select whole the line, not its part. For example if line #5 spans among 3 visible segments, all three will be selected. Certainly, double-click-line option should be checked, or it will select only word under the cursor.

Hi dmitri,

No, I don't think it has ever had this feature (I've used phpEd since about version 2), that's why I included it as a suggestion, as it would increase my productivity significantly. I know about the double-click mode, but I use the double-click to select a word feature an awful lot, so I have the option switch off. It would be nice to be able to use the double-click to select a line feature as well, so having it as an either/or feature with selecting a word is rather frustrating.

However, this wasn't what I was referring to. The suggestion I was referring to was:
Quote:

- it would be good to be able to highlight whole lines using one click in the left margin, when the gutter is off (having to click and drag to highlight a line is a real pain). The cursor should also change to point to the right when the mouse is over the margin - a visual sign that you are in the right place to highlight a line is really useful.

This is the feature I would really like to have, as it makes editing files so much easier and almost all other text editors I've tried have this feature as standard.

Even more so, if this feature was present and it selected the whole logical line as well, you wouldn't need to change the functionality of the double-click setting, as it would be implicit in this one.

So, has this feature been included in the latest version?

Debbie
View user's profileFind all posts by Debbie-LeighSend private messageVisit poster's website
Guru master

IIRC Visual Studio uses triple clicking to select a line. I like the way it is handled in UltraEdit though:
Doubleclick selects a word and if you click again in the selected word, it selects the entire line.
Thats easier to implement than triple clicking.
I personally have no use for clicking to select as I hardly use the mouse. I like the shortcuts to select a line more (Ctrl+O, L).
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

right.
alternatively it's possible to keep double-click selecting whole the line and use shortcut for selecting single words.

Hi Blizz and dmitri,

I see your point, but not everyone is a keyboard only person. Some are mouse only and some use both. I personally use both, as I find it increases my productivity greatly, as some actions are quicker to do with a mouse and some with a keyboard.

Surely an editor worth it's salt should cater for all types of preferences?

Single clicking in the left margin in my experience is far easier and more intuitive to do than using keys, as it is the standard way that most editors provide and we have all become used to that way of doing it.

Is it really that big a deal to add this kind of functionality to the editor - it already has most of the other features that we could want? Why not just finish off the usability with this feature, then you can boast that you really do have the absolute best editor in the world? Smile

Does anyone else agree with me?

dmitri - from your replies, am I correct in thinking that this feature hasn't yet been added. If not, could you give me an estimate as to when it will be?

Debbie
Site Admin

you're correct Debbie, that feature is not implemented. Regarding estimations, please contact customer care dept using this form http://shop.nusphere.com/contact_us/ and they will give an answer or some sort of.

Hi,

I've installed the latest version and found that not many of my bugs and suggestions have been included, even though I've been requesting some of them for several years.

So I was just wondering whether this is the right place to submit them or should I be submitting them to the help desk or something?

Debbie
Site Admin

Quote:
I've installed the latest version and found that not many of my bugs and suggestions have been included

Dear Debbie-Leigh,
Could you please re-read all this thread and let me know what suggestions said addressed are not actually addressed?