NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Mute Button on Keyboard

This is kinda strange, and rather annoying. Whenever PHPEd has focus, the mute button on my keyboard does not work. It sounds minor, but I listen to music while working all day long, and PHPEd is my main devel tool. Whenever somebody comes to my desk to ask a question, I hit mute, it doesnt work, then I have to grab the mouse, change focus to some other window, and then hit mute. Gets kinda annoying. Any idea why PHPEd is blocking the mute button? Btw this behavior also affects the volume as well.

Running:
Windows 7 x64
phped build 5916
Logitech G19 Keyboard

and VolumeUp/VolumeDown keys also not working in my Windows XP x64
Veteran

This is an interesting post Surprised

I use a Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard, and am having no issues whatsoever. PhpED is open and the keyboard volume up, down and mute buttons all work as they should. I can only assume some conflict with your keyboard software, e.g. PhpED may be using keyboard shortcuts that your keyboard software also wants to use.

works in x86 Windows
but dont in x64
Veteran

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. It works fine for me.

Well, I just changed keyboards to test this, and it is still not working. It does work fine on my system at home, using the exact same keyboard. The only difference is my system at home is running Vista x32, and here at work I am running 7 x64.
Veteran

I do not think it's your keyboard, but that rather the software that comes with your keyboard. My keyboard, for example, has a utility with which I can set up the special buttons. My guess is that there is a conflict there with something in PhpED (e.g. the PhpED keyboard shortcut keys). So, to continue with my guess... I do not think merely changing keyboards will fix the problem; you also need to change/update your keyboard drivers/software.

you wrong because i dont have any additional programs/drivers for my usb keyboard...
Site Admin

Quote:
you wrong because i dont have any additional programs/drivers for my usb keyboard...

Even if you don't have any additional drivers, it does not mean that you don't have any drivers at all or you think Microsoft never makes bugs? and for your info, MS frequently re-distibutes 3rd party drivers with the OS or you think MS wrote them all? In this case, try to find and analyze VERSION_INFO in the files, especially copyright line and you will find many interesting things.

Putting aside any driver written by any company that I may or may not have installed on my system that may or may not have any kind of bugs, why is PhpEd the only application that affects this? I have the same drivers installed when I change focus from PhpEd to Safari, IE, iTunes, Mplayer, Visual Studio, Google Chrome, Notepad, ..........I think you get my point. When any of these other applications have focus, the media controls are not affected. They ARE affected with PhpEd. So why is that? Being that is the case, wouldn't it be logical to assume that this is a PhpEd issue, and not the issue of some unknown driver that doesnt affect any other applications?? I mean, if it was a bug in some MS or 3rd party driver, one would think you would see the same sort of symptoms in at least one other application, wouldn't one?? Hmmm....
Site Admin

That's good question and you may want to address it to the hardware supplier. Or you think it's PhpED doing something wrong that affects your and only your media controls? I hope you get my point too.
Check with media control vendor the following 3 points:
-is their application compatible with Windows7?
-is their application compatible with 64bit version of Windows7?
-is their application works correct while 64bit version of Windows7 runs 32bit applications?

Did that. Logitech answered yes, yes, yes. Once again, PhpEd is the only thing that is affecting it. So, yes, I do think it is a PhpEd problem, especially since other people have reported the same problem, and not just mine and only mine. Look at dimka66 post. Its not just me.
Mute Button on Keyboard