NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
multiple tabs in one process

I am using WinSCP to connect via SFTP to a remote machine.I would like to edit remote files with NuSphere but I can not make it open multiple files in the same process ( each time I edit a file it triggers a new process / instance of phpEd). Can someone please let me know what is it that I am missing here?

Thanks ,
Filip
Site Admin

I'm not sure what you mean.
Nothing can run multiple instances of PhpED and working with sftp can not and does not run any processes. SFTP in PhpED is supported internally and has no relation to WinSCP. Probably you're working with non-nusphere products Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

I mean I would like to open multiple files in different tabs ( like Firefox supports multiple tabs for multiple site) . Each time I hit F4 (edit) the file I want to open should open in a new tab but this is not what happens on my machine.. instead each time I hit F4 a new environment is started with the file I wanted to edit.
Is there a certain feature I must enable to do what I need with NuSphere ?
Site Admin

Please explain what F4 do you mean? NuSphere PhpED has no functions assigned to F4 other that Run To Cursor which is clearly means "Debugger", not file editor.
Could you please submit screenshots of how it all looks like. I am pretty sure that PhpED supports multiple files editing and there is nothing special to do. Just open file and it will get its own tab. No new environment.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

WinSCP is a SFTP client program. It has a feature to allow you to edit a remote file downloading it and launching a local "editor' and upload it automatically on save. I recommend it!

Filip, I think these pics are enough. To edit the selected file, you need to go through the File menu, as shown in the 2nd pic. If you put phped.exe on top of the editors list, it will be called on F4. No need to go through the File menu.

Site Admin

Now I'm lost comletely Smile

Your answer raises even more questions
-why don't you use sftp embedded into PhpED?
-why don't you edit your files in place using ssh terminal embedded into PhpED?

Quote:
No need to go through the File menu.

It does not look like a good argument. PhpED has Explorer window very similar to what you screenshoted Smile and you can open files for editing from there.

Well, after all, if WinSCP runs multiple copies of a software, why don't you ask WinSCP about it? Smile
When I run 2nd copy of PhpED and supply file name, it opens that file in the 1st instance and 2nd does not run.
Does it work for you too?
Veteran

dmitri wrote:
-why don't you use sftp embedded into PhpED?

Well, in *my* case, I already was a WinSCP user before my first contact with phpED. I use it to deal with many other file types phpED can't open, like pdf, spreadsheets, images, etc. Also, in WinSCP I can preview which files are about to be transfered in a batch 2way sync, upload or download.

I used SmartUpload from phpED for a couple of days, but couldn't make it set the timestamps synced. So I went back to WinSCP. Where can I set it to allways upload the local file no matter if the remote file timestamp is newer, and set that timestamp the same as the local? In my case, my remote server clock is synced with my local system, but if the remote file is newer it does not upload, and if the remote is older, it sets a timestamp that is 3 hours before the timestamp of the local file.

Example: Local file.php has timestamp 22/09/2006 17:33:12, and there is no remote file.php. I right-click the file.php in the workspace > smart sync > smart upload, and get the file uploaded with timestamp 22/09/2006 14:33:00. Notice the 3 hours diff and the seconds not set. I don't know if it's coincidence, but I'm in Brazil, and here is GMT -3 hours. Anyway, both remote server and local have the same system time, so this is not reason for that. Adjusting the timeoffset to -3, zero, or +3 in the connection properties makes no effect. What am I missing?

dmitri wrote:
-why don't you edit your files in place using ssh terminal embedded into PhpED?

I'd rather have the remote drive mapped in Windows when in intranet, and edit them in phpED, or use WinSCP and edit in phpED.

dmitri wrote:
-
Quote:
No need to go through the File menu.

It does not look like a good argument. PhpED has Explorer window very similar to what you screenshoted Smile and you can open files for editing from there..

Sure Smile But this is what our friend Filip wanted, I think. Anyway, I'd rather have both directories side by side.

dmitri wrote:
Well, after all, if WinSCP runs multiple copies of a software, why don't you ask WinSCP about it? Smile
When I run 2nd copy of PhpED and supply file name, it opens that file in the 1st instance and 2nd does not run.
Does it work for you too?

I think WinSCP is not aware this "transference" between instances of phpED, and tells the user that the process it started (phpED) has been shut down. Actually this is just what I *think* that happens. Anyway, you can get the expected result Filip asked setting the way I posted.

I think phpED has many added features to help code development, but sometimes is hard to leave a tool you are so used to it. Very Happy
Site Admin

Filip tells that WinSCP runs multiple instances of PhpED. I'm not sure what version of PhpED he runs, but in case of 4.6 it's not possible (by default). Whenever you or system runs new instance of PhpED, it finds previous and passes there its arguments (file names to open).
Veteran

Quote:
Whenever you or system runs new instance of PhpED, it finds previous and passes there its arguments (file names to open).

Yes, sure. I think that when WinSCP opens the second file, it can't tell which application was launched and advise the user it won't be able to monitor changes. Definitely, it's not a phpED fault. The warning it shows is below. So, it's enough to just do what it asks you to do: set phpED as an external editor. If you look in the 1st pic above, the "External editor opens multiple files in one window (process)" is checked, as phpED really does.

multiple tabs in one process