NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Multiple Connections For FTP Upload

Hi Nusphere Team,

Much of my work each days means I am constantly altering files, updating and uploading them. However, I do on occasion have to upload multiple folders of files at once. I noticed that phped does not support multiple ftp connections to the same server in the same way that something like Filezilla might. I realise that phped is not a ftp utility, and the ability to upload via phped has saved myself (and my team) a lot of time, but multiple ftp connections might be an improvement on this?

Thanks!

M.Johnson
Guru master

A few months ago there was a discussion on this very subject in this forum, which I did not get involved in at the time.

Dmitri was of the opinion that multiple connections (workers) could not improve transfer speed. My own experience is that due to FTP control latency sometimes being quite slow (even when data throughput is reasonably fast), with lots of files increasing the number of workers can significantly improve the overall time it takes to transfer all those files.

For now I use the convenient PhpED FTP for transferring individual files and maybe a few folders, but rarely for lots of files.

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.

I have had similar experiences as you, uploading multiple files and having multiple threads work at the same time will decrease upload time. Individually uploading small 200 files one at a time VS uploading 200 small files 10 at a time will see a dramatic difference in the time taken to achieve the upload.

I will keep doing as I do, just use PHPed for individual files and a dedicated ftp client for large batches.

Cheers!
Multiple Connections For FTP Upload