NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Multi-row tabbar would be highly productive, I vote for that!
Iw work with many files open at once, and this drives me crazy in all programs/IDEs. Also I have at least two sidebars (Workspace left, navigator right) and tabbar is even more constrained in width, even on my 1920 display. It's hard to do double pinpoints everytime, to scroll the tabbar etc., moreover I want to have a constant notion of all my open files at any time, and switch to them with a single click without the need to scroll (if I know it was already open because it might be hidden already).

I guess I'll never see the multirow tabbar in Phped, along with many other feqture requests I read in this forum, but let me add another small but base for most other programs (and IDEs for that matter) feature.
'Go to last selected tab on tab close', or something similar - when a tab is closed, the last selected tab to become active, and not the left of the closed one. Quite a base thingy elsewhere.
Oh God, why things are being implemented so slowly in time in Phped...., for being soo expensive (almost $300 ?!, not counting the current discount) I'd expect tenfold the features, or at least small and wanted things to be added constantly and relatively fast. For the time being IMHO Phped's only slight advantages are the somehow better code insight, the slightly better debugger, and being speedier and lighter on resources than other (java-based) IDEs.
Apart from some new support for PHP versions and few other things (like some JS support, etc), I can't see any other significant daily needed enhancements in the interface or code editor from 5.9 (even 5.5) up to the latest 7.0.

Do you have any plans to take a look at some rivals and borrow ideas for hundreds of features that make the programmer's life much easier on a daily basis? I'd wish Phped's strong sides coupled with at least a few of the numerous features found elsewhere. Please don't tell me "go elsewhere then", it wouldn't favor current and future customers.
Guru master

I agree that PhpED is lacking in some IDE features but the debugger isn't just slightly better, it is a huge amount better than xdebug. I've seen quite a few enhancements since 5.9 and I'm hoping that the rejig of the IDE with v7 means it will be easier for NuSphere to add new features in the future.

I can't say a multi-row tabbar concerns me, although I'm certainly not against having one. The showing of the folder name when two or more tabs show the same filename was a very welcome addition with v7.

On the other hand, being able to split the open editor windows within the IDE (rather than floating) would be useful, so you could have a row of tabs at the top and a row of tabs mid-way (same way as Visual Studio does).

The floating windows are useful, but appear to be a bit of a hack and the Code Navigator does not work properly with them.

Going to the last selected tab sounds like a reasonable and probably easy to implement request Smile

I don't say there is nothing new in 7. There are Some enhancements with no doubt. The same-files-folder-name on tabs is just a small one that helps of course. It should be there long time ago.
Ok, the debugger is one of the best Smile . But I, personally need more code editor and organizational features and do not use the debugger often.
The new diff feature is a step in the right direction but then again, it has a long way to go - just see this in other much cheaper IDEs. It is just now when we see refactoring, ok. Still, meagre.
On the topic - splitting dual-pane is never going to hapen IMO. Also I don't think this is necessary. An audacious statement I'd make is a vertical tabbar as an option so we can see all open files easier on modern wide monitors. With a small distance between entries (to be useful).
Or maybe the tabs could shrink and cut some of the names at the end, so all tabs still visible. Of course as an option. They worked hard to skin the interface, the tabbar, etc.
Also it would be useful to be able to multi-monitor different open files, or at least the tool windows to move to another monitor.
I was just about to type this in!

I vote for a multi row tab bar as well! Please allow atleast 3 rows. I just stopped working, googled "Nusphere feature requests" just to enter this in!

Thanks!!!

Trial-ing latest versions of few IDEs.
The multirow tabbar becomes even more important and critical. When I work with many open files which is reasonable with the complexity of today's frameworks, it is a Real pain to navigate open files with constantly looking and scrolling the tabbar. The real problem is I don't see what's already open. Especially with many same-name files that have directory prefixes to their names which expands the tabs even more. Most of the time the tabbar shows only a little fraction of open files.
The multirow-ness becomes really critical feature I anticipate in an IDE.
Would it be part of Phped anytime soon? It's about 4 years later since the topic was started.
This is a diffident attempt to ping the dev team on another feature request for PhpEd that I'm almost sure won't see its way in the IDE, unfortunately. 3-4 years later I don't see a reply to at least argument why they don't plan such a thing.
Will we see major editor advancements? Frameworks etc. all is good (for those using this feature for public frameworks), but the IDE needs many improvements that will boost productivity much more than support for another couple of frameworks that will just open the View from an open controller file.
Any plans to annotate overriden methods, ways to open the overriden parent method, popups of the start of a block when I select its end, etc. etc..

I guess Phped will just EOL soon. With the many competitors on the market, most of them being multiplatform (whch hurts performance of course but negligible with current hardware) with hundred times more features, it is amazing how ignorant the developers are, and slow.
The performance benefit that phped offers on Windows along with its debugger, is not gonna be a considerable (and the only altogether) selling-point for much long.
There are some strong features as well (edited lines markers etc.) but the pace to implement new editor features is ridiculously slow in time. Version numbers on the other hand are fast-paced, but this is of no meanig to anyone really working with the products. Almost the same as with Firefox - there is practically almost no difference in the user experience from 4.0 to 38.0.
I feel it is a waste of time to try to ask again if multirow tabbar would ever be thought of being included in a roadmap, let alone implementing it. That feel is not good for (potential) customers.
Speaking with colleagues, the overall feeling is much the same, that's why I think phped is reaching its EOL. It was good in the distant past when there was literraly no competition. Too sad. I was holding my breath for too long (years) that this software would catch up at least a bit with the current commons of a sophisticated IDE but... Anyway.
And even with the almost constant prices discounts it remains almost in par with competitor's prices. Inexcusable.

So, let me try again and for all - anything on the multirow tabbar? Smile Anything, every whisper on the subject will be appreciated. Even "we will implement it in the next ten years" will do.

This is almost getting ridiculous but.. Smile
I'll take my time, a year and a half later, to reiterate this problem.
A multi row tabbar is essential for the "busy" coder who opens way more than 7-8 files at once. Once you open 15-20 files, you lose sight of what's open and what's you work on currently, unless you regularly lose time in opening a cumbersome dropdown menu of open tabs. Two or three row tabbar would solve this tab-management issue and one would be able to switch with one click. The whole idea of tabs is almost nullified for anything other than editing a simple site with 3-4 files.
Multi-row tabbar