NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Move/Copy in Workspace window

Was wondering whether it would be better to make the workspace window behave more like an explorer window and have files moved with a normal drag/drop rather than copied, and then have a copy initiated when ctrl is held down?

Chris
Site Admin

Did you try to hold Ctrl key while moving the file?

Sorry I guess I wasn't very clear - I know that you can move a file by holding ctrl as you say. What I was suggesting was that the copy and move functions when dragging in the workspace window work the other way around so that...

- Dragging a file moves it
- Dragging a file with ctrl held down copies it

...like how it does when you are working within a drive in windows explorer. I thought it might be more user friendly if the workspace window behaved a little more like explorer?
Site Admin

okay, once we ask for confirmation (by default) I think it's safe to change behaviour to get it closer to Windows standards.
What's about existing customers who used to work with current implementation?

dmitri wrote:
okay, once we ask for confirmation (by default) I think it's safe to change behaviour to get it closer to Windows standards.
What's about existing customers who used to work with current implementation?

I can't speak for others, but I'll celebrate Smile. The copy-by-default drives me nuts - I think reaching for control is a habit I can easily break.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

I'm inclined to agree - I think most people will be happy to work closer to Windows' "standards". Having said that, is there any reason it couldn't be offered as a customisable option to ease the transition? Wink

I also think it should be more like windows. I found it odd that it was backwards, but I didn't think to post a report. Thank you mushy!
Site Admin

Quote:
The copy-by-default drives me nuts -

I understand this, but with remote/live sites it's safer to do COPY instead of MOVE Smile

But we're talking about projects in the workspace window here, not remote/live sites right?
Veteran

dmitri wrote:
I understand this, but with remote/live sites it's safer to do COPY instead of MOVE Smile

I don't think this applies to the Workspaces window (does it?), but in any case, I would have to disagree. Consistency will provide safety without driving people nuts. Every (S)FTP client I've worked with that allows drag-and-drop of files follows standard OS conventions. If you think there needs to be an extra safety net in there, then I think the better approach would be an optional warning dialog. But really, I think working with a remote file system should be no different than with a local file system.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

bobwilliams makes an excellent point. Also, this is only a move, not a delete.

I wouldn't mind this switch either. I understand what dmitri is saying (I copy directories all the time on remote sites instead of moving), and changing existing functionality, especially with things like file management, can be dangerous for users that already do things a certain way.

That said, I would still like the default operation to be move. It's a pet peeve of mine Smile. The risk of an existing user mistakenly losing files should be minimal.
Move/Copy in Workspace window