NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Menu bars

I know that there are probably ways to achieve this with javascript or the like, but I was wondering how out of the question it would be to get the dock to allow a generated menubar.

To clarify, it'd be great to be able to set up a section in phpdock.ini defining a menubar with href links to the currently docked site(or externally for that matter). Doc would then create the standard windows menu and the links would drop you in different sections of the app, much like a traditional desktop app.

One for the wishlist anyhow.

Could you not do this with HTML frames?

I Could use a few different ways to emulate the appearance of a windows style menu bar, however this isn't really the most desirable option, hence the question.

The purpose of the dock is to present the site as a desktop application, and a true, windows styled menu bar would complete this illusion far better than any simulated method could.

Ultimately, you'd want the user to not really recognize the app as a webpage, and this would go a long way towards that.

Will wrote:
Could you not do this with HTML frames?

I'm using an iFrame, but it would be much slicker if there was a 'real' menu bar. Guess that's what GTK is for.......

Edited 1/23/08:

I'm just finishing up a little piece of code that places a 'Word' style menu bar (sans the alt-shortcuts for now) on Dock. Looks real and uses a .css, so you can go with the XP look or the 'NEW AND IMPROVED" (ha) Vista look.

I'll post it here when I'm done.....

Check out the menu that comes with the Yahoo User Interface:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/menu/
Menu bars