NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Massive feature request list #4 of 5: Editor

Editor:
  • Provide more customization for auto-close brackets and auto-close quotes, or at least make them act the same. Right now, if I select text and press quote it puts quotes around the selected text, while if I do the same with parentheses it erases the selected text and replaces it with parentheses. It would be nice if both acted the same (keep selected text and put quotes/parentheses around it) or if there were further sub-options on how they should behave. Also, if you put a quote in front of existing code it knows not to immediately close it, while with parentheses it puts an immediate close parenthesis regardless of any trailing code. Once again, it would be nice if the parentheses behavior were brought in line with quote behavior. As it is now auto-close brackets is too frustrating so I turn it off, but would love to be able to turn it on if the behavior were different/configurable.
  • Identify array key strings differently than regular strings. Right now they share a color in the syntax coloring. Identifying array keys as a different kind of string with a different color would be good.
  • When using split document, then unsplitting, it should go to the part of the document where your typing cursor is, not just default to the top.
  • Tab behavior with existing code is a bit strange. Example: say I have a line of code indented 1 tab, and above it is a block of code indented 3 tabs, and I want to align the 1-tab line of code with the 3-tab indent of code above it. If I move the cursor to the beginning of the line and press tab it moves the cursor 3 tabs, which makes the code that already had 1 tab indented too much (4 tabs). The current work-around is easy: just put the cursor at the beginning of the code instead of the beginning of the line and it will work, but it still doesn’t seem right the way it does if you have the cursor at the beginning of the line.
  • Persistent bookmarks. Often I stop work in the middle of a big code change and want to keep my bookmarks for the next time I load PhpED.

Identify array key strings differently than regular strings. Right now they share a color in the syntax coloring. Identifying array keys as a different kind of string with a different color would be good.

I like to have this option too, would make it much easier to read/find array keys.
Any progress on this request?

Quote:
or at least make them act the same. Right now, if I select text and press quote it puts quotes around the selected text, while if I do the same with parentheses it erases the selected text and replaces it with parentheses. It would be nice if both acted the same (keep selected text and put quotes/parentheses around it)

They will act the same if you turn Auto-close brackets option back on.

Quote:
Tab behavior with existing code is a bit strange. Example: say I have a line of code indented 1 tab, and above it is a block of code indented 3 tabs

The editor has different settings for Tab-width and Indentation.

Quote:
Identify array key strings differently than regular strings

I'd agree to have different colors for single-quoted and double-quoted strings. But in case of the array indices, I'm not sure Smile, the indices are still regular strings. Finally if you type something like below, how would it all be colored?

Code:
echo $my_array[

'some stuff' . That_I_d_like(" to see") . `$end even more`

];

Massive feature request list #4 of 5: Editor