NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Massive feature request list #1 of 5: Settings

I started a running list of suggestions/requests when I started using PhpED a month ago, but have been pretty swamped with work. Now that I can breath again (faster than I would have otherwise, thanks to PhpED), I'm posting a series of feature request lists starting with this one. I've broken up the list into categories, so if anybody has any comments it won't be one big jumbled thread. I updated to PhpED v5.0 (code folding is nice), and since the basic functionality seems identical I think most if not all of my requests will still apply, but if I post any requests that have already been addressed please let me know.

Settings:
  • Provide a way to save settings to and load settings from a single file—no registry digging as is required currently. By saving settings to a file you provide 2 clear benefits: 1) easy to backup settings in case of a crash, and 2) easy to switch back and forth between saved profiles, for instance if I’m working on a laptop and need big fonts when I just have the laptop screen but need smaller fonts when working with a 2nd monitor at home. That’s a trivial example since it’s so easy to just change the font, but you get the idea.
  • It would be nice if within Tools -> Settings -> Editor, if there was a "Reset to Defaults" button within each window. For instance: a reset button just in the Editor Settings area, another reset button in the Syntax Colors area, etc. At the very least, provide one button to reset all settings to default, although this would not be nearly as useful.
  • Make Settings window bigger or resizable. Going through areas with a lot of data, for instance the Editor Shortcuts settings, is hard to do, especially with wide text that requires horizontal scrolling to see all of it.
  • Make the font configurable in non-editor windows (workspace, log, DB client, etc.). I’ve changed the Editor font to make it bigger (17” laptop screen @ 1920x1200, 2 feet away = lots of squinting), but I can’t do that with the Workspace or other windows. Maybe make all the non-editor windows have one common font that’s configurable.
Site Admin

thanks for suggestions.

Quote:
Make the font configurable in non-editor windows (workspace, log, DB client, etc.).

IDE respects font size you set in the system. If for example you set LARGE fonts, its fonts will become larger.
See control panel->display->appearance

Re: Massive feature request list #1 of 5: Settings

MentatYP wrote:
[list][*]Provide a way to save settings to and load settings from a single file—no registry digging as is required currently.

+1 from me.

The common situations it would be great to have the feature are:
1) Reinstall Windows
2) Propagate the settings onto all other computers in the company, so everybody works with the same set of settings / shortcuts, etc.
View user's profileFind all posts by NatanielSend private messageVisit poster's website

dmitri wrote:
thanks for suggestions.

Quote:
Make the font configurable in non-editor windows (workspace, log, DB client, etc.).

IDE respects font size you set in the system. If for example you set LARGE fonts, its fonts will become larger.
See control panel->display->appearance

I've set my system font to extra large to test, but the only fonts affected are the program title bar at the top and the menu bar.

Another Settings feature request: the ability to change default folders for various functions like creating new projects. I save all my projects in My Documents--easier to just backup the whole My Documents folder periodically than to hunt down files all over the place--but every time I create a new project it defaults to Program Files/nusphere/phped/Projects/ as the folder.
Guru master

MentatYP wrote:
Another Settings feature request: the ability to change default folders for various functions like creating new projects. I save all my projects in My Documents--easier to just backup the whole My Documents folder periodically than to hunt down files all over the place--but every time I create a new project it defaults to Program Files/nusphere/phped/Projects/ as the folder.

I requested something similar here, don't think it will be done...
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

MentatYP wrote:

I know this thread is 6 months+ old. I got to it via search trying to find a way to backup my settings before I reformat my POS windows machine.

Anywho, to answer the question above, there is a way. In the bottom left corner there's a save as default checkbox you can check if you want the current layout that way.
Massive feature request list #1 of 5: Settings